Asbestos possible in 10 year old loft conversion (Uk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rented semi detached and the landlord has renovated it over the years since he bought it in 1999. He converted the loft about 10 years ago.
My room is below the loft conversion (LC) and there is a hole 5cm across in the ceiling in the storage wall space. I only open it to gain access to the boiler which was installed in 2001.
My main concern is that is there a chance that there is asbestos in the ceiling/loft flooring in the attic was converted 10 years ago and is there a risk of asbestos fibres coming through the hole and me being exposed to them?
My landlord said that there is no asbestos in the house (although he might say that not to scare me off).
Moreover the eaves, guttering, double glazing all look brand new, my housemate says that the landlord are obliged to tell you there is none, and my dad said asbestos was rarely used as loft insulation.
However I thought id ask here in case anyone thought differently.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Asbestos being used in loft insulation is very rare i've been working in homes since 1965 and have never come across it. There is some concern that early vermiculite loose fill may contain traces because it was mined in the same areas that asbestos is.

As far as the glass fibre type stuff I have never heard of it containing asbestos.

In domestic premises the only insulation product I have ever seen reports of is pipe lagging but it's very unusual my guess would be it was done by some industrial worker that used it at work.

Any house built before 1999 in theory could contain some asbestos (usually in sheet form as fireproofing or flue pipe) because the stuff was only finally banned then, but was being phased out from the mid 80's

When was the house built? The extension work done in 1999 is very, very unlikely to have used asbestos.

Simple really
Your Dad is right and your Flat Mate is an Idiot

Who or what Makes you even think that you may have asbestos.. And Please don't say the Flat mate LOL

Not sure when it was built, but by looks of it and looking on website I presume 1920's/30's at the very latest (not post-war Art Deco stuff). However the entire house looks like it has been completely renovated (green insulation, conservatory etc.) and loft was built after 2000 as landlord said he renovated it after he bought it.

As for why I think it's asbestos, I'm just vigilant. I had a scare a few months ago when we heard our old school was having asbestos removed. As a result I've been investigating about where asbestos can be found. We have nothing like artex ceiling, insulated lagging, vinyl tiles etc. so I thought last thing was anything in attic floors. Only thing that there is dark grey dust on a shelf in cupboard where the hole is (never cleaned it).

Sponsored Links
Very sensible to be aware of asbestos, trouble is once you start looking on the net it's a can of worms a bit like reading a medical book, by the time you have finished you are convinced you have the half the ailments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back