reed ceiling

M

munchingB

hi all you handy people! wondering if anyone can help me to understand something about reed ceilings in a 200 year old house.

to get to the timbers in the roof i need to cut through this reed ceiling..its been plastered and im thinking that if i were to remove part of it then i would have to remove it all as it couldnt be part replaced. also the house is a semi that use to be one house and i think that the ceiling extends into the next door side of the semi too. is this something that anyone has any experience with? cant find much online about reed ceilings full stop let alone how to maintain them or remove them. cheers if anyone knows anything at all!

Sponsored Links
I found this on the Greenspec site - http://www.greenspec.co.uk/products/plaster-backing/claytec-reed-mats-boards/ - being on a roll that can be trimmed you shouldn't have much problem cutting an aperture in the existing ceiling, trimming that back to the ceiling joists and fitting dwangs (noggins) around the aperture to refit some new matting. I would urge you source similar material to replace like for like i.e. find out what material has been used to plaster the ceiling try and get a cutting of the matting etc. This will prevent differential shrinkage, limiting future cracks .

Try placing a request in your local freegle/freecycle forum, for a bit of the reed matting, and good luck...pinenot

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back