Refilling a combi - there's no water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

This is something I didn't expect. I drained my Vokera Linea combi heating system to replace a leaky radiator valve (I understand about vacuums I just don't trust them). All the work was done and I am ready to refill the system.

However, there is no water. The tap that comes off the boiler water inlet and feeds the filler loop has no water (i opened the tap and had the hose that goes to the filler loop pointing into a bucket). Have I created an airlock? I can't see how as I thought this was the mains water and the mains stopcock is definitely open.

There is a unit before the tap. I presume it is some sort of valve. Has this closed and if so how do I open it?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Sponsored Links
a unit before the tap
A double check(non return) valve. Crack open the nut on its inlet side. DO hope that makes you wet :evil:

The tap you turned - if it was a plastic one it may not be turning the flat oval part underneath, so may need a small spanner.

I am opening the tap with a pair of pliers so i know it is open.

What does "Crack open the nut on its inlet side" mean?

If I turn on the hot water kitchen tap then I get water coming through.

Thanks for the reply.

mark

My mistake. There is water coming through fine - it comes from the other direction.

The system still doesn't fill, but i have got some pressure by pushing water in through the drain point.

Plumber is called though. I admit defeat.

Oh well.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Think Chris will probably be right. It is very common for the non-return valve to get stuck on these. Very easy to replace.

:)

Not sure I am up to replacing valves on boilers.

I have got the system up and running again. I filled it up from the drain point, bled all the radiators and started it up. Works fine AND my new radiator valve doesn't leak either.

Now that I understand the pipes going into the boiler I know that I DO have water when I divert water from the hot water to the filler loop and I know that the tap into the heating inlet pipe is unscrewing properly.

What I don't know is if water is getting past. It ISN'T filling up the system and I am presuming the next thing it hits is this "no return" valve. As there is water in the system now the only way I can imagine replacing this is to drain the system again. If that is so I may wait a bit until we decide if we are going to put the tap-like radiator valves on ALL the radiators.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm finding I quite like plumbing.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back