Refilling combi heating system help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a house which has had the heating system drained and I need to refill it. I've read up on the steps to take however there's no water entering the filling loop. I've opened all valves/taps under the combi boiler and even taken off the loop but there's not a drop of water passing through. I can't see any valves under the sink or other cupboards. The mains water in the taps is working fine. Has anyone got any ideas? Do I need to take the front panel off the boiler to reach additional valves? I must have missed something!

Thanks,

Niall

Sponsored Links
if no water is coming out of the loop its a problem before the loop, not in the boiler. not to insult your intelegance but some valves are quite small and look like this -have a look again.

also the filling loops have taps/valves at both ends you have disconnected one end have you then tried both taps/valves? (not just the one you assume to be the in)

why was it drained down? -expect the worse to happen when you refill it -buckets on standby and a way of cleanly draining it.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yes, I've opened the smaller valves too but I'll try again later tonight. I also tried both taps on either side of the filling loop.

The house was repossessed and vacant, hence the system drain. It's a new-ish build (4 years old) so I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble with refilling it.

I intended on closing all radiator bleed valves except for one on top floor (it's 3 storey) and filling that way until full then going through process of turning on bolier to eliminate air, bleeding rads etc until I reach a stable pressure. That sound about right?

Do you have any pointers regarding refilling a sealed system? Adding inhibitor, steps to take, usual issues etc?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Im no expert (just a young DIYer), but what you say sounds about right (allthough i would fill the system then bleed the rads then refill rather than doing it with a valve off -less likely to get everything wet!), also blead the pump, and (as i found) there is an automatic air valve (AAV) that should get the last bit of air out of the boiler -but are often bust. blead asmuch as you can before turning on (then bleed again after its run for an hour and an week)

defo add inhabitor, i would probably run for a week then drain and refill first to get any crap left from before out, -but thats just my thinking i dont know what the pros think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back