Refilling combi quick query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've checked the boiler FAQ's but can't see an answer to this....

I know the boiler should be filled/topped up using the filler loop, however I'm draining the full system down this weekend & wondered if its OK to re-fill via the drain port once I've added my new rads?

Will re-filling via the drain valve work as I'm guessing filling the whole system via the filler loop will take ages?

Thanks in advance,

jimmyhillsfanclub

Sponsored Links
If you are filling via a garden hose connected to the mains then it would be quick, just like the filling loop. Keep an eye on the pressure.

Andy

Dont get pressure and flow rate mixed up. Its flow rate you want to bear in mind and filling by the filling loop will probably be the same and tidier. Does not take long to fill CH system up.

The point of filling with the loop, is that you can keep an eye on the guage as it fills.

If you do save a minute or so by filling with a hose, this will be more than lost if you overfill, and have to release pressure because you couldn't see the guage.

Sponsored Links
If by adding new rads you mean extra rads, fill via the filling loop. If by adding you mean replacing old with new, you don't need to drain down.

Just in case. :LOL:

Thanks folks.
I did mean adding (1 new additional rad + swapping an old heated towel rail for a new column rad)

I also ended up re-filling using the filler loop as at the time of posting my query, I hadn't actually considered the rather obvious point of watching the pressure gauge whilst filling.......Doh!

Still, All done, all working & no leaks. Woo hoo! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back