Refilling Vaillant combi-boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First of all, apologies if I should have been able to work this out from other posts, but I've trawled the forum and couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I've got a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 which is showing low pressure (0.7 Bar). The underside of the boiler has no filling loop and there isn't one anywhere around the boiler, so I suppose I will have to buy one.

Please could someone confirm that to refill the boiler, I should connect the left most pipe in the picture below to the right most pipe using a filling loop, and open the left with a flathead screwdriver, followed by the right?

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
No that is not your filling loop connections
follow the pipes the furthest left 22mm and the 2nd from right 15mm with the horrible creases on it and you should come accross the filling loop that connects these two pipes , usually under the boiler but have seen them in some weird places, which model of Valliant do you have if it is a modern one it may have an internal configuration

It's the Ecotec Pro 24 Ian, tis in the OP.

As Ian says, follow the pipes down and there should be a T and valve off the cold water supply pipe and a corresponding T and valve on the far left (CH Flow) pipe. If there's no braided hose joining them there, the filling loop, it's been removed & you'll need to buy one.

Sponsored Links
cheers Rob never noticed that OP had said which boiler model it is, then as advised you have an external filling loop

May want to get you pipe work and power cable looked at also.
The cold feed and gas feed are badly kinked and the flow pipe looks like its weeping or been weeping, power cable is sitting on hot pipes.

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I still can't locate this. The pipes go down and disappear behind the kitchen tiles before re-emerging in a cupboard below, and there's nothing coming off the pipes there.

Would the engineer really have located this behind the wall?? The boiler cupboard would need removing to get to it. Otherwise, is there anywhere else it could be?

Thanks. Image below might give you some idea what I mean.

I've seen filling loops in some very odd places - you can find them anywhere there is a cold main and a heating flow or return pipe in close proximity to each other. The valves either end of the loop look somewhat like washing machine valves. They should be connected by a braided flexible hose which could, of course, be missing.

The system must have been filled somehow so there will be a connection somewhere. I saw one once that was just a standard isolating valve joining the two pipes - very illegal.

Keep looking and bear in mind that kitchen fitters sometimes go over the top of important plumbing fittings like filling loops.

mogget

At a guess the filling loop will be under counter with where the tee on the return goes to.

Thanks guys. I managed to shove my whole arm into the ridiculously small space at the back of the cupboard and managed to find the filling loop and repressurise the system by feel.

Only problem now is the pipe on the right is dripping where it connects to the boiler. Only once every 5 seconds or so and may be slowing down. Is this because of the increased pressure in the system? Will some tape be good enough to fix it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back