Refinishing pine table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a pine table, the surface is quite badly watermarked where glasses etc have been left.

The current finish is some kind of a wax.

Just wondering how is best to strip and sand the tabletop, I assume the waxyness needs to be removed first?

Sponsored Links
hi.....sand table,in direction of the grain using 60 grade sand paper,clean with white spirit and repeat using 80 grade paper...repeat using 100 grade paper,...clean again then varnish using a small radiator paint roller.....lightly sand with 100 grade paper and clean,repeat twice more,and you should have a like new table.....hope this helps mike

Steel wool with white spirit works well.

Household ammonia will also help to remove the wax, which otherwise will clog your sandpaper.

rather than varnish you might prefer the subtle sheen given by coats of danish oil.

Sponsored Links
I won't be varnishing it for definate, thanks for the tips, will try a bit on the underside of the table and see which works best.

danish oil is commonly used on kitchen work tops. it soaks into the wood and with sufficient coats can be polished to a gloss finish if required.

If you do opt for an oiled finish please read the instructions regarding cloth disposal. There is a slight chance of spontaneous combustion. I always use latex gloves and "kitchen paper".

after each coat I turn the glove inside out whilst holding the paper and then fill the glove with water and bin it.

if you want to rewax it you will need to seal it first before applying the wax.

With wax, you will however run the risk of water stains, less than with french polish though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back