Protection for pine table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As I’ve had some time to myself, I’ve made a table and chair set for our kids to use. It’s made out of white pine.

I’d like to give it a layer of clear protection, something that will stand up to spillages of milk, tomato ketchup, tomato soup etc.

I have Ronseal water based Matt varnish, and tested it on a spare bit of the wood. It tended to make it quite rough, which I’m sure would sand off. But I’m wondering if it would be protected well enough?

what would you use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Applying sealer, as you have found, tends to lift the grain and this should be sanded down after every coat.....use a fine glasspaper or even wire wool when you have a few coats on.
I guess you could use a polyurethane varnish but it doesn’t look particularly good, in my opinion.
John :)

You’ll need to allow the coats to build up - which seems to take forever as its so thin - but mine repels wine spillages etc well. It hasn’t faded either but I always use a coaster beneath a cup.....although this doesn’t seem vital.
Overall I think it was a good choice for me - it gets a regular wipe with Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner too.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the confusion, for sealant read varnish.....seals the wood either way.
Before any treatment and after sanding I went over the timber with meths to lift the grain - and then sanded it back down again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back