How to restore an old pine kitchen table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen an old pine kitchen table which I am thinking of purchasing and would like to have a go at restoring it to a country looking style.

Its similar to this one

View media item 44239
and this is the look I'd like to achieve

View media item 44240
Once I've got it back to bare wood I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult but its the process of getting it back to the bare wood I'm curious of how to do.

Would I just sand it or would I need to use some sort of chemical based stripper to do the job.

Cheers folks, Crofty

Sponsored Links
Hi crofty,
Looks like the table has just had a couple of coats of varnish on the top.
If it is the old spirit varnish or water based varnish, get some course and fine wire wool (wickes)with a tin of multi finish varnish remover.
Apply as per instruction on the tin, do a small 18" rough square first, allow to soak in and the varnish should start to bubble, don't let it dry out, so re-apply a little more over the 1st coat. Trim off a chunk of the course wirewool with old scissors and with GLOVES on proceed to remove all the remover turning the wire wool and rubbing it all up and down the grain till the wire wool is full of all the crap, keep moving down the length of table and don't leave off half way, finishing with the finer one as you go to get the last remains off. Wrap the old used wire wool up in newspaper.
Wash off, then if you are happy with it move on to finishing the table in your next finish.

This is just my way of doing it.

Think i'd just wallop it with a belt sander starting low and working upto a higher grade for a smooth finish.

Paint wise an eggshell would be appropriate i should think

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I shall look at the bits in Wickes and think about the belt sander (don't have one at the moment so would have to invest).

I've got the paint I would use sorted for the legs and bits underneath but I'd like to keep the top, once taken back to natural pine I'll probably wax it too keep it natural :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back