Refitting a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is a carpentry, or a plumbing question. Help...!

My bath is "on the move". It's been slowly slipping millimetre by millimetre for the past couple of years, a job that I didn't really bother with because one of these days I'd like to replace the whole issue.

But last week someone got in it and it made a creaking noise and moved down by about a centimetre. It's broken the edge of the side panel, but where there is a waste pipe from the sink that goes under the bath at one end, that seems to be stopping the end from going anywhere. My problem is that I am in no way strong enough to try and refit the bath myself (even if I understood what advice you guys have already given!).

Do I need a plumber, or a builder to do this? And is it really worth the aggravation or am I just going to be better replacing it? Any help much appreciated!!!

MOD

moved to plumbing ;)

Sponsored Links
What's the bath made of? I've seen a number of sinkin baths, where the problem has always been a water leak down the wall. It soaks the floor timbers, so they rot, and let the bath drop some more, which makes the leak bigger, so the joists rot, and the ceiling downstairs cracks, and the owner sues, and sends her ugly brother round, who takes you by the throat and does damage.

Time to get a bloke in.

Oh dear, I didn't think it might be that serious! At least I own the property, so I only have myself to blame.

The bath is acrylic. There are tiles on the wall down to the level of the bath and then sealant which hasn't really worked for a long time. It's possible that some water got in there, but probably not a lot I hope. When it first moved, I guessed it was just down to settling in a new house.

When you say bloke, I guess that means plumber?

The bath is only dropping at one end, where you sit... The other end appears to be quite stable, where all the taps and waste bits are.

Sponsored Links
Well it needs sorting out. See what's going on under there, maybe reinforce flooring the bath stands on (slide plywood in perhaps) to get the bath to where it should be. Let the wall dry thoroughly, use the right sort of sealan/silicone... Maybe stretch under the bath with precut lengths of wood say 2" square to get in vertical to support the far edge of the bath. Plumber? - not necessarily.

if you take the bath panel you should be able to see the extent of the damage if there is any?

if it is a chipboard floor then as above place plywood over it

if the floor is ok then it may only be a matter of the bath legs need adjusting and locking into place..
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back