Refitting rads after plastering....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not sure if this should be in plumbing forum or plastering...
I'm putting in some new radiators and in order to get feed/return to them have had to remove some sections of plasterboard from lower walls.... Not a problem as it'll all be plastered... But, how do you relocate rad brackets after skimming? In the past I've left screws in the wall but the plasterer as invariably not finished around the screw as flat as the brackets would like.....
Is there another way? Just measure and take a photo I suppose? Or, is there a trick I don't know??

Sponsored Links
You could try measuring the bracket from the floor or skirting board and make a note or write the measurement on the bracket before removing.

...and some interesting ideas here :) :

Reactions: CBW
before you get the wall skimmed mark the existing wall with all the measurements you require and take a few pic with your phone an make a mark in pencil on the floor exactly where the brackets go

Sponsored Links
lay the radiator face down on the floor. Hook on the brackets. Make a template with something like correx board as it's cheap. Could use cardboard. Line up starting at where valves fit.
You will work it out.
Transfer template to wall
Put one screw in the bracket slots if they have some. Try rad. Can move rad up or down on the one screw in the bracket slot.
When your happy add more bracket screws.

It's fairly easy jobs tbh. I've done it many times.
Check valves haven't dropped If wooden floor. That makes it really easy If valves move up and down

In the past I've left screws in the wall but the plasterer as invariably not finished around the screw as flat as the brackets would like.....
Get him to do the best he can with a screw in, then remove the screw to finish off then pop the screw back in. Should be easy to find the hole with wet plaster not drying in a hole as quick as the rest of it.

Edit: Just re read your post and I see you are fitting new rads. I'm assuming they may not be the same size as those removed. When I did it, I balanced the new rad on some wood to get the height and position I wanted before sliding the brackets down the back of it and latching in place before marking the top/corner of bracket. Obviously with a stud wall you need to line the brackets up with the studs. When it was fitted, I then piped up to mine. I had to use longer rad tails as I was going from an old imperial sized rad to a slightly smaller (but finned) metric sized rad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but if the plasterer cant finish the plaster properly and level, just because there are 2 screws with a huge gap in between them then time to get a new plasterer.

Get clients to do it all the time without any problems or complaints from the plasterer.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Dead easy all that's need pencil and tape.
Hang bracket on rad measure from top of bracket to center of bottom run of rad,
Transfer that mesument from center of rad valve onto wall.
If pipework in solid floor do it both ends existing rads often not that level!

Dead easy all that's need pencil and tape.
Hang bracket on rad measure from top of bracket to center of bottom run of rad,
Transfer that mesument from center of rad valve onto wall.
If pipework in solid floor do it both ends existing rads often not that level!
Or as it is going to be a brand new rad with different brackets just start from scratch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back