Refurbing old bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Apologies if this is a daft question but I'm a first time DIY'er and not sure where to start.. :oops:

Have just inherited a bathroom that is seriously in need of TLC to restore to former glory.

All walls are basic white tiles and floor is natural beigy stone effect tiles - but former owner was a 60 a day smoker who never cleaned properly! Consequently, tiles are watermarked and very dull, and all grouting (walls and floor) is a delightful tobacco brown. :evil:

Can't afford to rip everything off and completely retile - but am desperate to clean everything up.

To further complicate - I can't use bleach or strong chemicals due to skin condition..

Is there any hope or advice you can give me??

Thanks in advance...

Sass

Sponsored Links
Go and find your local cleaning supply shop (not a supermarket) This will be the place that all the local cleaning companies will use.

They will sell a grout cleaner that you can mix 4-1 with warm water, you scrub it in to the grout lines leave it for 10 mins and then scrub again and rinse off.

For the tiles they will have a strong tile cleaner which will remove body fats and soap scum. I usually finish tiles off with a glass cleaner to give them a real sparkle.

You may have to get someone else to use the chemicals though if you have an allergy as the cleaning agents will both be classed as irritants, the supply shop should be able to give you the COSHH sheets for more info.

You could always use a pro cleaning company, go to a local letting agent and ask who they use, these guys are used to tough cleaning jobs at the end of tenancies and they can usually be available at short notice. Don't bother with the Molly Maid type companies as they won't be kitted out for the job.

get pro tiler in to regrout, when he is finshed he will clean thoroughly - 2 birds one stone and wont cost much at all

Fab guys,

Thanks for the advice.. hadn't thought of getting a professional in to do the cleaning...definately like the idea of someone else doing the dirty work! :D

S

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back