Refurbishing an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Victorian semi house has a single storey extension sharing a party wall. It's well past its best (still has the same woodwork as when built in the 60's) and when we bought it 8 years ago, we and our neighbours (their extension is worse state than ours!) envisaged replacing both structures with a proper extension. Due to various circumstances this hasn't happened and is not likely to in the near future, so a different approach is needed to keep next winter at bay.
The external walls are single thickness brick/block with external render. The 12.5 deg pitch roof is felted and tiled with concrete tiles. What I want to do is replace the rotten bits and add insulation and double glazing.

The tiled roof doesn't leak despite the low pitch and that it faces the prevailing wind, however I want to board it (18mm), felt it and then replace the tiles for appearance sake. Internally, Kingspan fitted between joists followed by vapour barrier and plasterboard.
I would like to batten the walls internally and fit Kingspan (25 or 50mm) followed by vapour barrier and plasterboard. Windows and doors would be double glazed.

Basically I'm repairing/improving what's already there, leaving the brick structure as is. Do I need planning permission or to notify BCO for such work?

TIA
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back