Refurbishing Garden Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently moved into a property that has a flight of garden steps that are sound and solid, but very unsightly (i.e a poorly finished DIY job).
I am loathe to break them up and relay them properly as this would be a mammoth task, so:-

a/ Can I face them with textured paving slabs? If so, what type of 'adhesive' is best? (eg Cement + PVA mix/ waterproof ceramic tile adhesive?)

b/ Can they be merely re-faced with cement + pva mix, without having to bother with cutting slabs?

c/ Any other suggestions/ideas?

Cheers...........

View media item 21414

Sponsored Links
You cant really face them up with a render but you can put slabs on top of them and by the looks of it the lowest step is quite a short step so this helps. you just need to bed them down well with a 4 - 1 sand cement mix (fairly wet) and i'd use some weather proofing ad mixture too. and make sure they dont overhang too much.

Cheers amwc - I'll give it a try. Will let you know how I get on - I have 4 flights to get sorted, so its going to take a bit of time!

SNM - The steps also run up towards the left (hidden behind the wall), and there is a two step drop on about a third of the width of the bottom step that you can see in the photo! (Its left hand side). I was thinking of demolishing part of the wall and making the first two steps circular so they would match up with both flights.

Sponsored Links
if you overhang the slabs slightly, then i dont see any reason why you cant render up the risers to tidy them up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back