Garden steps ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
steps.jpg

We have to remove some very rickety old paving slab steps up a small slope between levels in our patio garden. We're trying to do a very basic DIY job ourselves. I've seen lots of suitable slabs but have no idea how to secure them to the soil without hopefully having to use concrete, ties etc. It only needs about four risers (there are too many). I was hoping we could buy something pre-formed but not seen anything suitable. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think they couldn't make all the different pre formed sizes as there would be so many options.
Concrete would be flexible in size and cheap and durable.
You could even mix that amount by hand (or get a strong helper)
Basically depending on the ground just need to dig out, hardcore up to just below level, edging/retaining to stop it collapsing, dry mix concrete base and tap the slabs into place.
There's probably a better method if you Google paving expert.

Dig it all out, down to a flat and level grade, then re-make it all using (a triangular stack of) concrete blocks, topped with paving stones. You can mortar the blocks together if you like; use a weak mix like 10:1 then they'll come apart again easily for later reuse/remodeling

Thank you for the replies. I was trying to avoid using concrete as we don't live in the property and don't have much equipment to hand. Yes I guess stacking up blocks could work without.

Sponsored Links
If you want something a little easier to handle than concrete blocks then you can use some frost resistant bricks under pavers.

I'm not too sure what concrete blocks look like if someone could send a link?! I'd happily pay £92 for the decking steps if they worked but I don't think the angle will be right or rather too steep as it's quite a shallow gradient.

I see thank you. We'll measure up and start digging out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back