Registration plate unseen tamper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't get any joy from local so any Traffic cops out there can tell me if Photoblocker a transparent reflective spray for use on rear number plate to avoid detection of registration number by GATSO cameras by reflecting the flash. IS ITS USE ILLEGAL?

I have been told it is not illegal by the seller of this product who are careful to just say it's legal, not it's legal to USE.

I have been offered some but refused even if its use is legal.

Sponsored Links
think about it, a legal way to stop speed cameras form taking your picture, dont think so.

it may be that the stuff is legal (as in its contents) but what you do with it is up to you i.e spray your number plate

I should also like to point out that there is a law thats is something like "obscuring your number plate is ilegal"

i once saw a prog on tv the police drove a car with about 4 reg numbers on it too fast past a camera (each plate had something different on it) they showed picture camera took , you could see all numbers but one, the one you couldn't see was then shown in negative and hey presto, there was the number, so speeding ticket and fine for obscuring the number.

the only people who win are those selling the sprays etc to mugs.

i do have one theory though, but as i said you will get done for obscuring your number, and it has nothing to do with any sprays, crams lotions or potions.

But the easiest way is don't speed, how would you like it if you or one of your family was killed / knocked down by some one who jumped a red light / speeding but the camera couldn't see their number plate, stick to the speed limit and dont jump red lights, much safer and you still get to your desination

Thanks Breezer just what I thought.

I should have explained but didn't want to waffle.
I don't speed and have respect for other road users including pedestrians crossing at all types of crossings and or just crossing side street junctions etc knowing in the highway code and my brain 'Give way to pedestrians'.

I hold back behind a cyclist until I can cross at least half the crown of the road to allow plenty of 'passing' room. Hold well back when I see horse riders and move out to prevent idiots from passing, ie Jack the lad with the go faster stripes'. Spent years driving a 12ton lorry with the same respect.. Signing off now I'm waffling. Good luck Breezer safe motoring.

It sounds like you are a generally considerate driver who just wants to protect yourself from the odd occasion you might miss a speed limit sign. It happens. I like to think I always spot the speed limit changes, but I'm sure I've missed at least one in all the years I've been driving.

The "problem" with these magic sprays is that they make the numberplate unreadable to CCD cameras... those very same cameras the police have fitted to their cars. The onboard computer sees a plate that is unreadable, the computer flags it up, they take one look at the screen and can tell it has been sprayed. Big fine. You don't even need to be the one who sprayed it, ignorance is no defence.

To be honest, the fines from accidental speeding would probably be cheaper!

Sponsored Links
so what haooens if someone sprays your numberplate and you dont know about it? your not gonna notice if you look at it

Don’t waste your money, it doesn’t work or should I say unreliable. Keep to the speed limits and you won’t have a problem.

andy said:
so what haooens if someone sprays your numberplate and you dont know about it? your not gonna notice if you look at it

why would some one bother using their spray that may or may not work on a vehicle that is not theirs?

Get a bucket of sloppy cow dung, fling that over the back end ... :D

:( Can I have some serious replies please. [andy,empip,Quick Fit]

I am trying to compile a case for trading standards to stop people being ripped off at £24 a tin. If I make false claims then it can go into litigation.

Trading standards will only take on a case of misrepresentation with true facts and not on the basis of ' I think' it's illegal.

Thanks to Breezer and AdamW for sensible replies.
Quick fit you never read my question properly

I repeat I have been offered some but refused even if its use is legal.

greengrass said:
:( Can I have some serious replies please. [andy,empip,Quick Fit]
Quick fit you never read my question properly

I repeat I have been offered some but refused even if its use is legal.

Yes I did read your question properly. The answer I gave was in general.
There are many products on the market that are legal to buy, but illegal to use. Look how many illegal number plates on cars, with the wrong spacing
and the wrong fonts.

I wonder how many farmers get fined for mud/excrement obscured number plates? Hence firing some cr ap over the rear of the car may be best .. and defendable with respect to wilful obscuring of detail .. not legal of course.

Get on yer computer and try googling, 7 mins found this lot ...

universal-trailers.co.uk said:
Obscuring the Number Plate
The ability for a numberplate to be read is covered by Statutory. Instrument 1971 No 450 - The Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) Regulations 1971. Part Ill - Exhibition of Licences and Registration Marks states the following:
( 1 ) The provisions of this regulation shall apply to vehicles, other than works trucks and agricultural machines, first registered on or after 1 October 1938.
( 2 ) The registration mark of the vehicle shall be fixed and displayed on both the front and the back of the vehicle, so that in normal daylight the letters and figures are easily legible from every part of the 'relevant area', the diagonal of the square governing the 'relevant area' being 75 feet.
( 3 ) For the purposes of this regulation, the expression 'relevant area' in relation to a registration mark on a vehicle means the area contained in a square described on the ground, either in front of or behind the vehicle, where one corner of the square is below the middle of the registration mark and the diagonal of the square from that corner is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, but excluding any part of the square within 10 feet of the vehicle.
It is an offence to allow the numberplate to be obscured. This is now a fixed penalty offence, and therefore more likely to be policed. Obviously, this is of some concern to towbar fitters and to drivers of vehicles with towbar attachments.

However, there is more to this...

The law states, Here

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS
2001 No. 561
ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
Made 26th February 2001
Laid before Parliament 28th February 2001
Coming into force
for the purposes of regulations 1(1)(a) and 17 21st March 2001
for all other purposes 1st September 2001
Further requirements for registration plates
11. - (1) No reflex-reflecting material may be applied to any part of a registration plate and the plate must not be treated in such a way that the characters of the registration mark become, or are caused to act as, retroreflective characters.
(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.

(3) A registration plate must not be fixed to a vehicle -

(a) by means of a screw, bolt or other fixing device of any type or colour,
(b) by the placing of a screw, bolt or other fixing device in any position, or
(c) in any other manner,

which has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters of the registration mark, which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which prevents or impairs the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.

(4) Section 59(2)(a) of the Act (regulations the contravention of which attracts a level 3 fine) applies to paragraphs (1), (2) and (3) of this regulation.
reflex : Probably as in :- Produced as an automatic response or reaction To a camera flash perhaps ?

There probably is not a law which prohibits the sale of number plate 'treatments', such as reflective sprays ... Note the disclaimers..
Please note that we do not condone speeding so please drive within the law.
Such as advertised here :-
http://www.photoblockeruk.com/

FAQ said:
Q. Is this product legal?
A. YES. The law in most countries requires your license to be legible to the naked eye. PhotoBlocker Spray is a high gloss, clear, reflective spray that is undetectable. It causes no distortion nor does it obstruct your license plate view. YOUR LICENSE PLATE WILL BE VISIBLE TO THE NAKED EYE. Besides, no one will even know you have it on. It only fools the cameras.

Some PRESS TESTIMONIALS here ....
http://www.radar-camera.co.uk/testimonials.htm
But they are dated after the law quoted above, and have quotes suggesting reflective coatings may not be illegal .... Is that bad research or have I got it all wrong?

Make your mind up time .......
:D

Thanks for your replies and a special thanks to empip I've been trying websurfing and obviously too old a decrepid to put the correct info in to get what you did, brilliant! thanks again. I think I've got em! :D
They keep saying it's legal but never say 'its legal to use.' I've just had another reply with just 'it's legal'.

Take care !! As with all research data must be verified .. If important then 3 different unrelated sources .. Web can be dodgy, info reported differently from same source etc ... and I am sure there is more !!

Also how is the law I pointed to interpreted ? It looks conclusive I admit.
Be sure of dates .. is that law the final word has it been modified, is it actually current?
I guess you have a basis to move on from ... But tis legal eagles who rule... common sense in terms of intent is not always found.

BTW I am obviously no expert.

Just use this Click here web page for search engines and at the foot of the page newspapers on-line.
---

Copyright prevents full details but I will say their is a class 3 fine currently at £1,000 if any one is found to have any reflective material covering their registration plate which causes by reflecting a camera flash [retro-reflection] back at the camera so causing a registration number 'white out' preventing a true photographic image. So a speeding fine is £60 and 3 penalty points. But this one pheeww!! plus I think they are going to introduce penalty points. They are preparing to tackle the retailers and will be producing a news report on the subject and involving trading standards. So thanks all got what I need now back to decorating the bathroom. :LOL:
Thanks to you all
Have a nice Christmas
Greengrass

Sponsored Links
Back