Regs for room without a window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 bedroom house originally configured as 3.
The original plan was to knock through the front bedroom existing into the new one.
The existing had a window at the front which has been taken out and filled in now. We have decided not to knock through and just use the existing room as a general storage room so the house will now be 4 bedrooms and a store room. Does this room have to have the window put back in or can it stay as it is without one as its just going to be a store room?

Sponsored Links
Only habitable rooms require windows.

Ok so if I put rails up and shelves etc for storage then when the bco comes round to sign off there won't be a problem with this at all and I just simply say its a store room?

It is not a room it is a walk-in cupboard :)

Bear in mind that if you sell the house it will have to be described as such and this will probably be reflected in the value.

How did you get Building Regs approval for blocking up the window but not completing the rest of the work?

Sponsored Links
We bought the house with the extension shell competed and just ready to first fix. The previous owner had bricked up window and the plans show the intended knockthrough, but we have decided we don't want to go with the plan on that of the build and to just keep it as storage, is this ok?

If you don't complete the works you won't get a completion certificate from Building Control.

If you want a completion certificate then you will need to make an amended application.

Bricking up a window is notifiable in itself, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back