Regs Question.

B

BOB..DOLE

Gas safety installlation & use regulations 1988 part e reg 30 Quotes...

prohibited areas for open flued boilers & flueless appliances.

appliance type fitted into bathroom central heating boiler not permitted.

the question is if i saw one fitted in a bathroom and was fitted before 1998
would this be ok.

Sponsored Links
i think its more like 88

edit. wait thats what you typed, dont you mean 1988

if so then yes, but we would still push them to replace it asap

Difficult one but if you phone corgi advice they will tell you ok, but as Robb said tell them of the dangers and maybe disconnect for your own piece of mind (not sure if I would be right ) would rather have it in writing from corgi

Appliances installed before November 1984 which are otherwise safe and working satisfactorily should normally be regarded to be Not to Current Standards (NCS)

Sponsored Links
Although the chances are the ventilation will then have to be provided through a bath / shower room making it a multiple ncs and possibly at risk which is how I think I would prefer to leave it with my name on the job.

Ok I agree with Ollski,
Here is another, balanced flue baxi in a cupboard directly (yes directly) above a bath with shower, no lock or anything on the cupboard door.

What do you think ID, AR, NCS ?

I will tell you what Corgi advisor told me when answered.

( This boiler was near enough in the bath)

Probably said it "wasn't a gas safety issue" but broke electrical regs and possibly IP (ie steam ingress) ones too so NCS.

Bloke in work called Corgi about a fan flued boiler directly above a bath - confused Corgi adviser said it was of no concern (fair enough) as long as it was gas safe, so what do you do?. Electrically - unsafe, so if left are RGI's liable when Mrs Jones electrocutes themselves or not? ( that is assuming that it is not a new install).

Answer from Corgi no risk at all but advize to screw the cupboard door up so nobody can access without physical intervention.

How are they going to set the boiler once I am gone ?

Take the screw out and manually adjust.
Last competant person ME
I am FLKCED

COrgi man's wrong then. He's right that it isn't a gas safety issue, as I said, but if it doesn't comply ith the installation instructions in any way then it's NCS. (GSIUR) That includes everything.
Whether "a screw" makes it comply with electrical regs I dunno.

sime10 said:
Answer from Corgi no risk at all but advize to screw the cupboard door up so nobody can access without physical intervention.

How are they going to set the boiler once I am gone ?

Take the screw out and manually adjust.
Last competant person ME
I am FLKCED

then put it as ncs as chris says or if you are really worried put it at risk.

there is nothing stopping you from doing either and no sensible RGI is going to think any the worse of you for doing so.....its your engineering judgement that the boiler is potentially unsafe to use so exercise your right to do so and advise the customer about your concerns. another RGI may feel its only NCS...thats his lookout

i personally would put it at risk no matter what CORGI have said. better to be over cautious than under cautious if you think it may lead to a court case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back