Regular Topping Up Caused Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already found out through this forum that the reason that I am having to top up my combi-boiler every 2 to 3 weeks could be due to a faulty Pressure Relief Valve or Automatic Air Vent, as there do not appear to be any leaks.

A couple of months ago I had to have the heat exchanger replaced. The boiler is a Vaillant 835 Combi boiler and is only 3 years old. Vaillant state that they haven't kept the HE for testing but that the problem may be caused by water contamination. They are going to come out and give a free service and test the water.

A few weeks ago I removed a radiator and found that there was plenty of magnatite in the water (the system was power flushed on installation).

Obviously due to the frequent tops ups the system will have been watered down. It has had an annual service but nobody has topped the system up with inhibitor or anything else. (Prior to researching on this site I was unaware of the need for inhibitor or that the boiler should only need topping up every 6 months if no water has been removed from system).

What I would like to know in advance of this visit please is whether it is possible that the watering down and lack of inhibitor replacement could have caused the heat exchanger to fail?

Sponsored Links
You forgot to add system leaks to your list. Radiator valves can weep but not lead to wetness (signs you are looking for) as can system fittings.

What are the signs to look for if a radiator weeps?

And regardless of how the pressure is dropping, could the fact the the system is getting watered down cause the heat exchanger to fail?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back