Regulations for external staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice - I've been trying to get my head around some building regulations and am starting to get a little confused!

We are replacing an external staircase at a private residence which goes up to the entrance of a first floor flat, and want to make sure it complies with building regulations. It is the only access to the flat, and so is also a means of escape.

I'm trying to work out the required width, rise and going of treads and so have been looking at parts K1, M4 and B1 of building regulations, and this is where I'm getting a bit mixed up:

- rise should be between 150-220mm (K1 1.3). Or should the rise be between 75-150mm as per M4(1) 1.8, as it is an "external stepped approach"?
- going should be a minimum of 220mm (K1 1.3) - or is this 280mm? Is this classed as "stairs that are part of the building?
- there is no minimum width?

Any advice very much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Jari

P.S. it may be worth mentioning that we're using an accredited manufacturer/installed for this project and have asked them to make sure it complies with all building regs - I'm not trying to do this DIY! However, I want to be clued up on the regulations because I think some of the criteria that the manufacturer has been quoting is only applicable to non-dwelling buildings..

Sponsored Links
In the first instance it should be no worse than the existing risers and goings of the stair it is replacing as it is currently built. You don’t need to upgrade it to meet new regulations.

So that begs the do you anticipate making any changes to the risers/goings that would make it worse than before?

Hi Freddy, thanks so much for your reply.

I thought that the new staircase itself would have to comply with the building regulations? It would class as building work right?

The current staircase as it is wouldn't meet building regulations (it's too steep), and so we definitely don't anticipate making changes to the risers/goings that would make it worse - better hopefully!

Love Queen btw!

Treat this as an internal domestic staircase not external steps, so use the former dimensions from your post.and pitch something like 42° IIRC
Width of flight should equal minimum width of landing, which will be at the least, the width of the doorway to the flat plus any extra width of platform each side of the doorway

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back