Regulations for lighting (recessed downlights)

B

BuildingNovice

I have new single storey kitchen extension with a V shaped pitched ceiling and roof, which has a 150mm void, and want to install some downlights.

Please could someone confirm whether I need a fire-rated downlight (i.e. I am not sure if a ceiling/roof in my scenario, which does not have a living space above it, is covered by the regulations). I could not find the relevant section in the part B regulations booklet.

Also, are the energy efficiency requirements that 1 in 4 lights need to be EE or 1 light per 25mm2 area, or do both these criteria have to be met? My extension is 50mm2 and so do I just need 2 EE lights, even though I will probably have 20 lights in total.

Sponsored Links
You'd only need to provide "top hats" if you have space above (i.e. another room).

Reasonable provision would be to provide in the areas affected by the building work, fixed energy efficient light fittings that number not less than the greater of...

a) one per 25 metre squared of dwelling floor area (excluding garages) or part thereof; or

b) one per four fixed lighting fittings (25%).

If you work it out based on floor area, then you'd only need 2 EE lights. If you work it out based on light fittings, then you'd need 5 of your 20 lights to be EE and as that's the greater amount, I'm pretty sure your BCO would run with that.

Thanks

I spoke with my building regs chap today and he seemed pretty relaxed on the energy requirement and said 2 will be fine.

I suppose strictly the regs do say 'or' and not 'the greater of'

Strictly speaking, you're incorrect... as I mentioned in my post :p Approved Document L1B (page 21) states...

Reasonable provision would be to provide in the areas affected by the building work, fixed energy efficient light fittings that number not less than the greater of:

a. one per 25 sq.m of dwelling floor area (excluding garages) or part thereof; or

b. one per four fixed lighting fittings.

Take note of the part in bold. However, as your BCO has confirmed he'd only be looking for 2, then that's fine :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry DevilDamo, somehow missed the quoted bit in your previous post!

I saw the 'or' in an 'advisory' page on one of the Goverment web sites, but clearly what the regulations themselves say is what's important.

Yeh... like when you're withdrawing cash from a cashpoint with your credit card... you pay £2.50 or 2.5%, whichever is greater. Althought that is a VERY bad example, you know what I mean :LOL:

If your BCO requested 5 but you were only reluctant to provide 2, then as per the reg's, you have no leg to stand on but if he has only asked for 2, then only provide what he has requested :) May be a good idea for him to make a note on the file just incase another BCO doesn't pick it up if they come out to inspect if for whatever reason your BCO isn't around. But I'm sure it'll be fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back