Regulations for socket height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks :)
I've just found this forum, and what a god send it could be while I renovate my old cottage!

My first question is. What is the minimum regulation height for sockets these days?
I prefer them to be down at skirting board (or just above) myself, but I believe that's not allowed these days, or is it?

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Runningbear :D :D :D

i think private dwellings are ok its only building going to be used by people in wheel chairs but i could be wrong

The regulations only apply to new-builds.

You can put them where you like as long as safe.
I.e. not where they are likely to get damaged.

The requirements are different for existing properties and new builds.
In an existing property you can have the socket and switches at more less at what ever height you want, within in reason that is.
In a new build between 450mm from finished floor level and 1200mm, bottom to top.

Sponsored Links
AIUI - if it's a full renovation or new build, then sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm above finished floor level. If it's a refurb/rewire etc. then the sockets must be placed to prevent damage to flex when something's plugged in: 150mm above floor is a way to achieve this.

I have recently rewired, and placed the new sockets above 450mm, even though it wasn't necessary, and it's surprisingly more convenient than at skirting level. (Didn't move the light switches lower though!)

EDIT: too slow, I am :oops:

Thanks for the RAPID replies! :eek:

So, if at the end of the re-furb, I get an electrician in to sign it off, will he still do it with low level sockets?

He won't (shouldn't) sign anything off he didn't do or design. The common advice given here is to get him involved at the start and agree a plan whereby he'd be willing to certify the work, and thereby accept responsibility for it.
Or convince building inspector that you can inspect and test yourself - not unheard of.

[If you comply with the law, that is.]

AIUI - if it's a full renovation or new build, then sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm above finished floor level.
No and yes.

I have recently rewired, and placed the new sockets above 450mm, even though it wasn't necessary, and it's surprisingly more convenient than at skirting level.
A lot of people say that, once they get used to the height.

So, if at the end of the re-furb, I get an electrician in to sign it off
It doesn't work like that.

Basically you either have an electrician do it all, or you apply for Building Regulations approval in advance, and pay the fees.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

I can pretty much guarantee that rewiring a property involves far more than you think it does and requires you to know things that you don't even know exist.

I have recently rewired, and placed the new sockets above 450mm, even though it wasn't necessary, and it's surprisingly more convenient than at skirting level. (Didn't move the light switches lower though!)
yes I found that too, especially were you expect thing such as bedside tables and were the TV,hi-fi,games console, dvd etc.. are being stuck.

AIUI - if it's a full renovation or new build, then sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm above finished floor level.
No and yes.

Go on.... fill in the gaps! (For those of us who prefer your delicate prose rather than searching for the readily available info ourselves!)

I have recently rewired, and placed the new sockets above 450mm, even though it wasn't necessary, and it's surprisingly more convenient than at skirting level.
A lot of people say that, once they get used to the height.

Saves a lot of bending down, which I will appreciate all the more when I'm an old(er) g i t.

yes I found that too, especially were you expect thing such as bedside tables and were the TV,hi-fi,games console, dvd etc.. are being stuck.

It's the plugging in of the vacuum cleaner that is most noticeable! Can't excuse oneself from the job by the 'I'm not bending down there right now - it'll do' thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back