Regulations on Electrics for Flat Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder whether anyone knows the rules regarding electrics for a house split into 2 flats (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs flat). It would be normal for the lights of a ground floor house to be serviced through cable running above the ceiling and below the floorboards of the first floor house. But if this were a flat conversion, is it still permitted for the cable to run this way. I am thinking that the first floor flat could "siphen" off electricity if they so wished. But does anyone know what the regulation says (if anything) about this?

Any advice woud be appeciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi.
I have seen a few of these conversions go through building control, and submitted one of the flats for my NIC assessment without any problems.
The jobs I have worked on have had a dense 'rubber matting' layed onto the existing floor, then another floor put down on top of it. ( yes it did put a spring in your step ! :LOL:), and ceilings below were double tacked.
I think that 'fire ratings' and the 'passage of sound' were issues the builders had to get around. The upstairs sockets, however, I did cable from the loft down. The only issue I had with the building control was the smoke alarms, and I ended up installing a detector in the lounge and bedroom, as well as the usual hallway etc. ( the customer loved that ! :eek: ).
I hope that this is of some help, I must add that local building control offices seem to have different opinions and it would be well worth your while contacting yours and getting thier advice, view's.

Thanks for that. I will do. Anyone with any other experience in the meantime?

There is no problem with the cables being installed underneath the floor boards of the top floor apartment, so long as they are installed as per the Regulations, as all the cables would be one would hope.

The Regulations regarding fire alarms vary from Authority to Authority, but in general most would insist on an interlinked system in the flats and communal areas so activation in one would alert all in the building.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back