Advice on my elec supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in an upstairs flat, and it appears that my electricity supply comes first into the downstairs flat. From there, two cables run from where their meter is, via a metal tube, into the wall and up into my flat, where it enters the black box next to the meter (is that the cut out box?). See attached pic, where the cables run in the white pipe to the left of the box.

The guy downstairs is having some work done and says that these cables are old and decayed (and will risk splitting), and that the company won't risk working around them, and is asking me to replace them.

I just want to know if a qualified electirician is allowed to replace these cables, which I assume means opening up the black box, and whether this is a straightforward job or potentially problematic. Appreciate any advice on this, thanks.

Attachments

• elec.jpg
    elec.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 487
Sponsored Links
I see, thank you Bernard.

I'm London based so I guess I'm part of UK Power Network. From your experience, is it a straightforward process to get them to carry out this work? If something is old and potentially dangerous are they obliged to replace it? Would this work be done for free?

If you have reason to believe that these cables are unsafe (they often last about a hundred years or so, but can be damaged if hit or bent) you can notify the company that owns the cables in your area. It will not be the company that sends your electricity bill, but if you look at the bill, it will say, somewhere near the bottom, something like:

If you need to contact your local network operator, call
0800 012 3456 or write to
Anyco Power Distribution PLC, 1 Any Street,
Anytown AN1 TOW

It will also say

Your supply number
S 01 234 567
89 0123 4567 890

This is the unique Meterpoint number that identifies your installation on the network, so quote it.

The map is sometimes wrong or out of date.

If the cables have deteriorated due to age, as can happen with some types, you will not be charged for their renewal. It has to be done by specially equipped and trained workers.

Incidentally, your gas bill (if any) also has a Meterpoint number, but the name of the Gas Transporter might be wrong or not shown at the moment as there have recently been some more changes. The bill will tell you who to call.

Sponsored Links
IF their equipment is dangerous they are obliged to make it good at their expense.

Just because it is old and your neighbour doesn’t like the look of it, does not mean it is actually unsafe.

Give your DNO a call and explain to them what your situation is, and I’m sure they will at least come and have a look and then you will know what further action is required, if any.

OK, a bit more detailed info now, having investigated.

It turns out that the main 3 phase cut out is in the flat below, and that the cable (I think a VIR cable?) travels inside a conduit into my flat, where it meets a secondary single phase cut out (as shown in the picture). The network provider has said that their responsibility ends at the first cut out, and that this cable is my responsibility - which seems faiir enough. So can any qualified electrician handle this work?

Assume that isn’t a LandLords meter they are wrong.

A pic of downstairs would be good.

Anyway I guess you could replace with swa
Cable

It's not really fair enough as you have the cut-out below and a cut-out and a meter in the flat, none of which an electrician should 'play with'.

There is what is called a 'Building Network Operator' for large internal installations.
If the DNO won't do it, contact the building owner (freeholder?) and insist. They likely will not offer willingly.

I've had similar with a pair of maisonettes. Downstairs cutout - single phase, two fuse, modern plastic. Upstairs cutout - cast iron double pole with re-wireable fuses. Loose connection at the upstairs cutout caused the (undersized, VIR) link cable between the two and the terminal on the cutout to burn out.
UKPN wouldn't even come to look at it, told me it was nothing to do with them. Even told me to go ahead and pull the fuse from their cutout downstairs to isolate it.

So can any qualified electrician handle this work?
Some can - others not.

If it's like most of these, the main cutout is the only thing the DNO are responsible for.
Cables from that and the second cutout are the responsibility of the building owner, or whoever they have decided deals with it. That might be you - or the freeholder if there is one.
The meter is the responsibility of whoever you buy your electricity from.
Everything after the meter is yours.

VIR in conduit does need to be replaced, and really should have been replaced several decades ago.
The second cutout next to your meter should be changed for one with a solid link, not a fuse, those generally have a red carrier rather than the usual black one. It's needed so that the supply can be isolated when your meter is replaced.

Pictures (of what is at his end) would be a great aid in understanding exactly what the situation is.
It is difficult to understand how this cable in conduit relates to your property without.

Pictures (of what is at his end) would be a great aid in understanding exactly what the situation is.
It is difficult to understand how this cable in conduit relates to your property without.

Finally got a picture. The two cables come from the conduit into the cutout. The suppliers, UKPN, want to replace the cutout I believe, but won't do it unless these cables are replaced first. Either that or they just cut me off!

Attachments

• elec2.jpg
    elec2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 357
VIR in conduit does need to be replaced, and really should have been replaced several decades ago.
The second cutout next to your meter should be changed for one with a solid link, not a fuse, those generally have a red carrier rather than the usual black one. It's needed so that the supply can be isolated when your meter is replaced.

It looks more like a lead armoured cable to my eyes, than a conduit - there is extra confirmation of that, in the cast box it terminates in which will be pitch filled. That is the work is in all probability of the DNO.

[EDIT] Bottom end photo is conduit, but appears to be PVC insulation. Is the OP sure the two ends belong to the same cable?

Last edited:
[EDIT] Bottom end photo is conduit, but appears to be PVC insulation. Is the OP sure the two ends belong to the same cable?

i can't see anything to complain about downstairs. What is it that the downstairs people are looking at, with rubber insulation? It's not in the photo.

Do they mean the armoured cable coming up through the floor? Interesting that there is a 3-phase supply. Is it commercial premises?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back