Help required on outside elec box relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any info will be appreciated,

Im just about to have an extension on side of my house which currently has my elec meter/box so in my plans it was ok'd for mr to put at the front of the new build,

ive just completed footings to find that the mains cable running up my drive also Spurs off where my extension will be built and feeds next doors box.

I have to have a raft footing too,

1, Does this cause me and neighbour much of a problem.
2, Does this work have to be done by my Elec supplier.
3, What is the estimated cost of moving box and replacing wires and would i have to pay for the rewire of next doors if this needs doing

Thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK if the supply cable was to run under your new extension then it will require moving!!!!

It will cause you inconvinience through cost and your neighbour nothing.

Yep the DNO will have to do the work, best of luck getting that done as they pass it from pillar to post and back again.

Most the supply showers will send you a form and you get to work out how much it is going to cost you and then you tell them

THIS COULD TAKE feckin ages mate!!!!!!!!!

i recently got a quote for moving my mains incomer cable and meters,
the quote was approx. £350 but i have to dig to the depth of the cable and channel out a new track to lay where i want the cable to go

you can get them to dig it out but will cost more

hope this helps

Sponsored Links
I recently had our meter / cutout moved outside from my kitchen.

I contacted our DNO (United utilities) about 2 years ago when we started our extension. They told us where to get the external meter box from (Jewsons was closest to us) and to just fit it ant get back in touch when we were ready for the supply to be moved.

When we contacted them again about 3 weeks ago the nice person on the phone said they have to send everyone a rough quote (£650 which we had to sign and send back) but it would be up to the engineer who visits to look at the job how much it will actually cost. Our new meter cabinet was next to the overhead cable drop and the guy who came to look at it said it would be the lowest he could charge, as no materials were required (therefore £405).

The crew that did the job (2 friendly blokes from Balfour Beatty) arrived on time and were there for about an hour. Seems a bit steep for £405 but I'm not complaining as I couldn't do their job working live. I asked if they would be disconnecting it at the top of the pole but the answer I got was along the lines of nah, would have to get the ladder off the van)

As an aside, we pay our bill to a different supplier, but they didn't want to know, and also didn't seem to know who we should contact. In the end I cntacted our DNO and it was all very simple.

Thanks for the info chaps,

How long does this normally take, once youve asked for the work?

Cheers

In the letter I received after phoning them it said the engineer visit would be up to 1 week, then the work would be done within 2 weeks after that. It was actually 2 days for the engineer then 3 weeks wait for them to do the work.

It probably varies throughout the country though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back