Reinforce roof for hanging a punchbag?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I have no diy experience, also am cackhanded. :confused: Not gonna stop me though.

My landlord said its ok to hang it from the outhouse, if I reinforce the beam. I'm going to be heavily punching and kicking an 80 kg bag, which I think technically triples the weight during the sessions. I was hoping someone could advice me on the best/easiest method for me to reinforce it.

Landlord said to connect another beam alongside the current one to strengthen it and add "bits" diagonally to the wall to make a triangle like shape at either end of the beam. I'm scared the roof will fall on my head though, so thought I 'd ask people in the know to be safe

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Ad some noggins,[ timber between existing] and and screw a half sheet of ply over the area and fix bag hook to centre, then if bag hits the ceiling during use the ply will take the impact. ;)

Ad some noggins,[ timber between existing] and and screw a half sheet of ply over the area and fix bag hook to centre, then if bag hits the ceiling during use the ply will take the impact. ;)

Who the hell is going to hit a 176 pound bag hard enough for it to hit the ceiling? :eek:

Me, kickboxing, had a bag in my companies underground garage mounted on a 3mtr ceiling and good jumping side kick would have it hit the ceiling easily.

Sponsored Links
Dunno much about kick-boxing but are you sure the bag is 80kg? My nephew is into it and reckons the heaviest bags available are about 45kg.

If you are right then it depends what fixings are going to be used. It seems pointless doubling up the beam if there is a single eye bolt going vertically through only one of them. If there is a mounting plate/bracket that can be attached to/go through both, then your landlords suggestion seems suitable. If he suggested it then he can hardly blame you for any damage to the roof structure. (Your own safety is another matter!)

Best to add vertical supports to the walls first to make fixing the diagonal braces easier. You should then end up with something that resembles a hanging basket bracket on each end.

Yep, I hunted down the heaviest one I could find on the internet.

The mouting bracket would have to be a very specific shape to be suitable? Ill phone up a store.

How do I attach the sides to the walls, expanding anchor bolts? and the other bits, aw crap. This is going to take me a lot longer than it should lol.
If only my abilty to smack things could be transferred to diy skills.

You could use anchors or 135mm frame fixings straight through 4" wide by 2" thick uprights into the walls. (4" should be about the same width as the doubled up beam.)
http://www.wickes.co.uk/frame-fixers/invt/515502/
You can then just nail the diagonal braces into the uprights and the beam.

Your ability to smack things is something that is essential when it comes to DIY!! :LOL:

Ok, I'm almost ready to do it. One last thing, the main beam is angled oddly, will this mess things up when im connecting the diagonal bit from there to the sides?

Ah, didn't spot that! :confused:

The plan will still be the same, but you will have to cut the top of the brace components to match the angle of the beam. The vertical support on the wall will be simple enough, but the compound mitre, where the diagonal brace meets the beam will be a bit fiddly. (Cut a test piece first!)
Because of the angle, it may be necessary to use a wider timber - 5"x2" or 6"x2".

When it comes to accurate measurements, i know I'll screw things up. My flatmate doesn't seem to want to help me with that either which is annoying.

He told me to just reinforce the old beam with another one using anchor bolts and joist hangers.
And not do any diagonal stuff. Is this enough reinforcement, or do i reall need the vertical and diagonal pieces? Thanks.

Come on svelte1, I thought you'd be a kick-boxing world champ by now!! ;)

There's no reason why you can't do that way, and it is a simpler method - I was just going by the instructions you said your landlord gave you.
Obviously the joist hangers will have to be fixed to match the angle of the existing beam so make sure they are fixed solidly and that they carry the load of the new joist. If they don't, the weight of the secondary beam will be added to the original as well as that of punchbag.

Good luck with it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back