Reinforcing retaining wall foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My husband, my father in law and I built a retaining wall in the garden a year ago. We then had a kitchen extension that due to poor planning on behalf of the architect or builder was too low and so the patio had to be dug down just over 1 foot, going below our foundations.

My FIL wants to build another retaining wall in front of it to basically create another foundation for it. My plan was to maximise space by putting a storage bench in front of the wall but with the extra wall, it wont really work both space and looks wise.

We also planned on building a pergola over the patio so I'm wondering if we can't build the pergola similarly to a fence with cement boards at the bottom with mortar behind to reinforce the wall in a space saving manner?

Does anyone have an idea if this will work or any other space saving options so we can still fit our dining set on the patio?

Photo attached, thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_102008701.jpg
    PXL_20230322_102008701.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back