Reinserting Spring on a Yale Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am having some difficulty with a Yale door lock. I removed it to see if I could fix it. The issue is that the brass part (that goes goes into the door frame) slips forward when the door is left on catch, meaning that if you use the catch with the door closed (while you are outside), you can get yourself locked out.

Anyway, I took the lock apart and have tried to put it together, but I can't see how to put the spring back in.

I have looked elsewhere on the internet and found nothing that helps me.

I have attached a photo to this message. I know that the spring sits on the right side of the photo.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks for reading.

View media item 49869

Sponsored Links
put the spring onto the little peg right hand side,the little part of the spring needs to be inserted then the large part pulled round so if fits into the recess on the brass snib.very hard to explain.do you have any other yale type locks,or ask a friendly m8 or neighbour?

Took a close up a bit blurry of a similar lock although not the same as yours but you get the idea, on top left, spring on the cam pin and the longer spring lenght in the guide of the latch and the other end against the lock body, all locks are difference but the idea is the same

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately I am still struggling to fix this. I have attached a new photo that shows how I currently have the spring positioned. It is tense against the brass part (which goes into the doorframe) but it is not pushing it back when the handle is released.

I have also attached a photo of the spring I'm using. Does anyone know which way this needs to be fitted onto the peg?

Thanks for your help!

View media item 49904
View media item 49905

the end has broken off your sping.

somebody might have a spare, otherwise, cut your losses.

you might get a free used lock if you ask on freegle., or very cheaply on ebay (sometimes with a free door attached)

yours looks like it might be a 50mm case, they are hard to come by, 40mm and 60mm are more common (measure from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole)

You can retain your existing cylinder and keys

Hello,

The nightlatch was working fine (apart from the issue with the catch before) so I'm surprised that it would have been damaged so easily from just removing it when dismantling.

I've measured the door and it's 40mm from the edge of the door to the furthest edge of the keyhole. The nightlatch box itself is approximately 60mm. I assume buying a new nightlatch with a 40mm backplate is the correct choice?

40mm from the edge of the door to the furthest edge of the keyhole.
should be measured to centre of the keyhole.

Those narrow nightlatches are usually fiotted on doors with glass panels

the spring might have been broken before you took it apart. It certainly looks broken to me as the short arm is so short.

Have you got a mortice lock on the door as well as the nightlatch?

Is it one of these?
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/ProductsDB/?groupId=2872&productId=58964

if it is a genuine Yale and you can identify the model number, you could try emailing the makers, they might help
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/ProductsDB/?groupId=2872

If measured to the centre of the keyhole, then it would be 37/38mm. Would this still mean a 40mm backplate?

It's a metal door with a big full height glass pane in the middle. We only have that lock plus a bolt on the door. It's a house we've only recently moved into.

If I remember correctly, the nightlatch was still functioning fine until I took the spring off the peg.

84.jpg

A couple of mm will be accomodated by the slackness on the bar from the cylinder.

That's good, I think the Yale 84 and 85 models both have a 40mm backplate. One double locks from the outside and the other doesn't.

However if you have no mortice lock you really ought to get a British Standard lock which will be much more secure.

They have much larger external cylinder cases

For example
http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/British-Standard-Night-Latches-s/220.htm

They are often cheaper at places like Wickes. Look for the British Standard BS3621 dated 2004 or 2007 on the packaging

http://search.wickes.co.uk/search#w=BS3621 nightlatch&asug=

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?f...m=&priceTo=&priceFilterOn=&_requestid=1439829

Thanks for the links, I think I'll probably go for one of those then.

Not sure if the spring is broken, how long is the shortest length? You have to flip and force it back against the lock body for the tension before putting the rest of the spring on the cam pin, however looking at the locks link by John will be a better lock than the one you have.

Hello,

The short piece is about 7mm. When I've tried to fix it, I've been putting the spring coil on the peg first. Should I be doing this the other way round then?

Which way round should the spring go onto the peg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back