Reinstating 1950s original style door - building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope somebody can give me some advice on this one...

We've moved into a mid 1950s semi but it has an awful PVCu front door and surround that doesn't really close that well. The wife likes period features and I've picked up a 1950s art deco wooden door on ebay for a quid. I intend to replace the whole surrounding panels and frame with timber, ply/insulation/ply sandwiched panels and sealed glazing units.

Question is, do I need to comply with building regs if I am changing a front door and surround seeing as I will be restoring it back to the original style (similar to some originals in the street, but not identical)?

Some of the glazing needs replacing and I was thinking about getting sealed units made up, but I doubt that this alone will meet the thermal performance requirement.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Technically it should comply yes and even if your ebay one did comply you would never be able to prove it. Having said all that who's gonna tell? BC won't knock on your door. If/when you come to move the surveyor won't know it wasn't there when you moved in anyway. So fit your nice looking door and stick two fingers up to cr*ppy UPVC. ;)

replacement doors only need to conform to the replacement window and doors building regs thermal requirements if more than 50% of the door area is glazed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chaps, I guess that confirms that I don't need to worry about nosey neighbours who are jealous of our period features and split on me to buildings control! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back