Reinstating downstairs fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We live in a mid 60s house which has a chimney stack on the party wall. Previous owner removed the downstairs section on our side about 25 years ago, I believe the other side still have theirs.

We want to get a wood burner for the lounge and the logical place for it would be where the fireplace was previously.

The existing chimney is supported as it’s been like it for 25 years with no signs of any issues, however it’s not up to current regs, it has no RSJ, seems to be sitting on timber beams. From what I can see, the bottom of the first floor breast has been covered with some red foam looking stuff.

Can I just get someone in to rebuild the downstairs fireplace and have a wood burner put in? I think rebuilding what was there is a better option as it takes away and concern about needing to get an RSj put in. Wife’s grandad who owned the house before us (now deceased) did the removal himself so BR we’re not done at the time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get someone to do that, is there an existing constructional hearth on the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back