Reinstating fireplace hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - first post on here so go easy on me.

In the process of refurbing my living room and want to reinstate the hearth. It's mainly for decorative purposes but would also like the option of installing wood burning stove further down if possible.

I've already opened up the fireplace and started ripping up the floor which will be replaced.

As far as I'm aware the original hearth has been removed (it's a victorian house). Pictures attached.

I'm a little unsure what the next steps are in terms of building an adequate constructional hearth. Any tips on how to get started? What the best materials to use are etc.?

Cheers in advance

Attachments

• 20210816_211710.jpg
    20210816_211710.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210816_211657.jpg
    20210816_211657.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210816_210529.jpg
    20210816_210529.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210816_210511.jpg
    20210816_210511.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
I should have probably added that I would ideally like the hearth to run flush with the new wooden flooring that will eventually be laid.

is this the ground floor?

what is beneath the joists, and how deep is the gap?

Hi John - Yes, ground floor. Sorry, should've been more specific.

Loads of rubble and crap beneath the joists which I plan to clear before new floor is laid.

Not sure how big the gap is without clearing but it's definitely more than 100mm if that's useful.

Sponsored Links
I assume that you won't be having open fires?
The original hearths were stone or concrete in case of falling coals but I would expect that there are modern alternative non combustible boards that could be used?
If deciding on a wood burner ( which are not exactly green, and are frequently banned) you'd be better getting advice from an installer as dimensions may vary, and requirements

Hi John - Yes, ground floor. Sorry, should've been more specific.

Loads of rubble and crap beneath the joists which I plan to clear before new floor is laid.

Not sure how big the gap is without clearing but it's definitely more than 100mm if that's useful.

very wise to clear it for ventilation, and open up the airbricks on both external walls for airflow.

if the joists are laid on the ground, they will be prone to rot, and movement under load. many Victorian houses were very shoddily built.

Given the limited depth available you will probably need to remove the joists and create a concrete hearth, the building regs specifiy minimum requirements.

The flue size is also relevant, yours looks quite narrow.

I used concrete blocks and poured concrete over a dpm when I did mine but had more depth to play with.

Blup

Thanks for the response Blup.

Would it be easier if I had a raised hearth then, rather than trying to make it flush with floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back