Reliable magnetic surface contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please advise a make/model for some heavy duty magnetic surface contacts, I have had 2 normal white plastic ones fail on me recently with a closed circuit and on closer inspection the clear reed switch plastic has typically broken.

I have it mounted on my shed door but I'm very careful I don't slam it or anything they just seem very fragile, perhaps cold weather may be factor also ?

Thanks for any tips!

Sponsored Links
Bit of a thread wake up, I fitted the YEND74 as recommended but noticed today testing my system that it wasn't working - never reported the door being opened :(

I removed the outer cover, didn't touch anything else and then it started working again, strange...

Don't seem to have much luck with magnetic contacts, I may see if I can cobble together some sort of simple physical switch that opens/closes the circuit, as it's on my shed not bothered what it looks like - unless you can buy something like this already, anyone know?

Found Elmdene LST large contacts to be the most reliable up to now 40mm operating gap

Sponsored Links
OK thanks will take a look.

Ideally I'd like some kind of microswitch on the door.

Microswitch? The easiest thing to overcome.

Find and use a Heavy Duty METAL surface contact. (Aluminium )

They are made for your type of situation.

Perfect, the first one is usually used on an 'up-an-over door, the contact will accept a lorry driving over it, the second is the one you need, don't forget you need a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back