Reliable towel radiator heating elements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of towel radiator heating elements?

The one that came with mine lasted about 4 years, and then failed with an earth leakage fault. I replaced it with one from Screwfix - which has terrible customer reviews that I should have heeded! - and it has lasted about 4 months and gone open-circuit.

Any suggestions? It's a small radiator, so only needs to be about 150W.

Sponsored Links
I had a 150w Dimplex as per the photo below, in the bathroom where I used to live. In the winter it was used daily. I installed it when I moved in and it was still working when I moved out 8 years later.

dimplex-s-electric-towel-rail.jpg

Do dimplex make/sell just elements?

I should have said that this is a water-filled radiator of the sort that can be plumbed in to central heating or have an electric element or both.

Ah OK, no, this was just electric only, not connected to the heating system. I had an all electric house.

Sponsored Links
I replaced it with one from Screwfix - which has terrible customer reviews that I should have heeded! - and it has lasted about 4 months and gone open-circuit.

Well FFS take it back. Goods have to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. Consumer law is on your side.

And try to find a stainless steel element. Anything else will fail.

Or don't have the towel rail as part of the CH, and buy a sealed electric one. A 150W one will cost less than 2p/hour to run - less if you put it on a thermostat, and if you use a timer as well it won't even be on all the time. The amount you save over the winter by not using electricity for it really isn't worth the aggro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back