relocate boiler to timber frame consevatory/utility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm looking to build a timber frame utility room (details here //www.diynot.com/forums/buildi...-lean-to-utility-conservatory.344935/#2580152

I really need to relocate the floor standing grant oil boiler into here. Is there anything that might prevent this from being doable, or more importantly mean a plumber turning up and saying they aren't allowed to do it because its against this rule and that rule.

From what I understand it has 22mm, feed/return, and an electrical spur, all of which can be routed easily enough. It would also be located very close to the existing oil feed pipe route.

The flue would need to vent through a timber framed, timber clad wall, or through the EPDM coated flat roof, depending where it was located in the room. I assume either option must be doable, but are there any considerations I need to make during the construction of the wall/roof? ie types of materials etc.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think there is anything specific that prevents the boiler being located there. Others will advise though.

BUT I suspect there may well be Building Regulations which could be contravened.

No great surprise there! Can anyone give any more detail?

Also confirm the regs on distance to opening. I've been told 600mm, but is that horizontal/vertical, diagonal or what? Edge to edge measurement I assume?

Is there a rule about distance from an external corner too?

A look on the Grant website for your model boiler will give you all the distances etc. you need to be aware of. You also need to get an oil supply to it, and the whole job will be notifiable from the building and boiler aspect.
As the installation will need to be 'signed off', I would consult an OFTEC technician before the event.

Sponsored Links
as per OP, oil feed etc are easily routed (it would effectively be moving sideways by about 6ft.

Well Mr B.C won't be hearing of the building. I don't really see that it would be a requirement anyway. But either way I guess I need to re-assess the boiler situation.

Having done more reading on the boiler (euroflame 50/70 there are various flue options that may solve my problem leaving it more or less where it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back