Relocating boiler, worth changing it altogether?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are contemplating on converting half of our double garage for extra living space. The existing boiler is a system boiler (with unvented Megaflo cylinder for HW) which is located in the space which I want converted so I’m thinking of relocating it to the unconverted part of the garage. I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile replacing the boiler altogether at the same time as I will be paying for most of the labour to move the boiler anyway. The boiler is a 7 year old Potterton Suprima 80L which reading about it online is known to have some fundamental issues. I’ve not had any major issues with it myself, though we only moved into the house only a few months back. I do notice however, because our bedroom is directly above the garage, hearing the boiler firing quite frequently i.e. once every 3-4mins. So every time it fires it doesn’t run for any long periods of time. It is on BG Homecare and the service didn’t pick anything up. I see the efficiency rating is 78% whereas most boilers these days are +90%, will this difference warrant some substantial savings?

Sponsored Links
you have a few issues here, the existing boiler shouldnt be cycling as often as it is and this wouldnt have been picked up in the service , you should report it as a fault, replacing with a new condensing boiler wont really be that much more economical to run but as you correctly say you are paying for the labour anyway so if it was me , I would get a new boiler installed anyway, go for another system boiler and keep the unvented cylinder, the Suprima has its known faults and isnt the best but go for a decent new boiler and the money will have been best spent, if you go for a good make and get say a 5 year warranty on the new boiler then you can cancel your BG cover at £200 odd a year so you have saved the cost of the new boiler anyway, you will have to get the new boiler serviced every year to conform to the warranty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back