Is it worth changing a baxi back boiler and if so what to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a vented system with cylinder and expansion tank, a circulating pump, and a Baxi back boiler behind an ugly looking fireplace. We have a 3 bed plus loft conversion 1930's semi detached house in W-S-M.

Since we moved in to our new property back in January, we have had a few issues with our back boiler, one where the pilot assy. had 'grown' a carbon deposit which shorted it to the case, and also occasionally we find ourselves with no hot water for a shower in the morning because the boiler has gone to red and needs to be reset. We are also aware that it not the most efficient boiler.

We have been considering if now is the time to invest in a more reliable and more efficient modern boiler and have been looking at different boiler types. From what I understand it would be a better option buy a new boiler that will work with parts of our current system rather than buy a combi boiler which would require a lot more installation work ? We have been looking at high pressure 'system' boilers which could utilize the cylinder we already have.

Another question is where the new boiler would be situated if the current boiler/fire flue was blocked off. We also will require at least two extra radiators installed downstairs as there are currently not enough.

In summary, I would welcome any advice on viable replacement boiler types for our current system (based on cost and ease of installation), where it might likely be situated, and what it might cost us to do this based on new boiler, 2 new radiators, removal of unnecessary system parts, and also if this will save us money long term.

Thank you in advance

Paul

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Please pass me my long range x-ray specs.....................

Seriously, apart from wildy varying recommendation's of boilers, based on often limited experience, you really have to get a local bod to visit and make some obs and rec's

Ok point taken, yes I have already arranged for a local heating engineer to come over on monday to have a look. Any things I should specifically mention or ask for? power flush etc etc

There are lots of similar topics on here if you search for them. One thread very recently.

Couple of questions if I may please.

What do you mean by the boiler going to red?

When was your back boiler last serviced? Did the previous occupiers have it serviced yearly?

Sponsored Links
Ok point taken, yes I have already arranged for a local heating engineer to come over on monday to have a look. Any things I should specifically mention or ask for? power flush etc etc
Bear in mind that a "plumber" may make more profit for less work by installing an expensive combi when a lower cost heat only boiler is more suitable.

Two "local" plumbers advised a friend to "go combi" but British Gas recommended a heat only and came in several hundred less than the two local plummer's quotes.

Bear in mind that a "plumber" may make more profit for less work by installing an expensive combi when a lower cost heat only boiler is more suitable.

Two "local" plumbers advised a friend to "go combi" but British Gas recommended a heat only and came in several hundred less than the two local plummer's quotes.[/QUOTE

Yeah BG would, and still rip customer off. Most Plumbers would fit Combis because it gets rid of old cylinders and header tanks at the same time.

slapper said:
Yeah BG would, and still rip customer off. Most Plumbers would fit Combis because it gets rid of old cylinders and header tanks at the same time.
Not like the plumber who charged a customer "scrap disposal fees" for the tank and pipes removed and then weighed it in at the scrap metal dealers.

Why get rid of cylinders and header tanks if they are still in good condition. A cold water storage tank has many benefits over everything direct on mains pressure.
PS you missed out a ] at the end of "" plummer's quotes.[/QUOTE ""

Ive know a few plumbers who fit combi's because they dont know how to do S or Y plans, and Im not joking :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back