New boiler quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need/want to replace our current boiler (old model Baxi Bermuda backboiler) and have just had a quote of £2,981 + VAT. This includes replacement of back boiler with a high efficiency condensing boiler (Ideal Icos), new water cylinder, retain radiators & pipework & drain the system. The boiler included in the quote sells for around £750 on plumbworld, add on new controls, some pipes, new cylinder & sundries - nearly £2,000 for labour - surely not for the 2-3 day job I though it was???

Also, is the quoted boiler our best option (ie as opposed to a combi) for a 2 person family in a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom (few showers lots of baths). Yes, we would love to gain the cupboard currently used by the water cylinder but not for the sake of an inferior system. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.
Sarah

Sponsored Links
Sarah you need to get more than one quote but bear in mind the £2000 you say is labour is also the engineer's liability insurance, quoting and estimating time, van repayment, van insurance, tools, mates wage, training costs, travelling time, guarantee period etc, etc.
The icos isn't my favourite, but some engineers swear by them. I would definitely say keep the open vented system it would be mad to lose it in favour of a combi. The open vent is a much more flexible system, mind you if your budget could run to an unvented system so much better still.

I agree with ollski, keep the water cylinder, though I would have the unvented one as I earn quite well from the annual service required on unvented ones. I don't accept the vogue for condensing boilers. Unless you have a new system which is designed to be used with a condensing boiler, the boiler will cost more for virtually no benefit. Despite what manufacturers say. If you use the government figures for improved efficiency, payback period can be 8 to 10 years.

As long as the job is done PROPERLY, it is probably worth the quote you have. Do you feel comfortable about the person doing the work? If you don't, don't have them do it no matter what the cost. A heating system is a long term capital expenditure, have the best you can stretch to, not what you can get cheaper. And you should have it maintained properly to avoid large repair bills, so if the installer will service the boiler and ensure the water side is looked after it will be money well spent. Again, I do very well out of fixing long term problems.

In every case get it in writing that the benchmark log book will be completed and signed and be given to you. This will only be done by someone who is not afraid of putting his name against a job he has done. This kind of job will obviously be dearer than someone who works at weekends and once paid will disappear into the night should a problem occur.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest what is he doing with the back boiler, disconnection only or removal or are you keeping the firefront operational?

To answer the last question - he will be removing the entire backboiler inc. hideous old fire front (a real plus point in getting a new boiler!) as I want to install a new fireplace more in keeping with the house.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies & all advice is taken on board. We will be getting a couple more quotes but this chap came highly recommended so I am quite keen to use him even if a bit more (and point taken Ollski about other overheads ;)).

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back