Relocating plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am just about to relocate a plug socket to a higher position to make it tidyer for a tv bracketted to a wall in a bedroom, My original socket is directly below where I want to put the new one, Also it is being used to spur off to another point.
The socket I want to move is on the ring main

Could I switch off CU , take out old socket, connect 2 chock blocks to the existing cables to feed the new point above?, Or do I have to take out the old socket cut the cables back to below floorboards connect a JB and feed the new socket from that?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
My take on it is:

Electrically there is no distinction between your two methods.
So the only real difference is do you join:

i) below floorboards in two junction boxes
or
ii) above floorboards with one/two 30A choc(s) inside the old socket
box - assuming physically you can fit 2 x 3 terminals or 1x 6 terminals there

Given the requirement to have junction boxes accessible
I would say that provided your existing metal socket box
is still earthed to both choc box earths
and
you can and do fit a blank socket box cover over the chocs
and
you label that cover to indicate live inside rather than empty

then
option ii) is preferable, though may be very tight
for space with choc and cable

I'm guessing some here will say neither i) nor ii)
is acceptable, rewire fully, back to the two nearest neighbouring
sockets on the ring.

Thanks Barclay55,
The problem I have when you say "rewire fully, back to the two nearest neighbouring sockets on the ring." is that the neighbouring socket is actually directly below downstairs, (The house is 2 bed terrace with only one ring main feeding upstairs & downstairs). So I cant take the cable back to that socket.
Surely I could simply remove the old socket and spurred cable leaving me with the 2 cables, Cut them to below floorboards ( which as room is being decorated so no problem) use a 30a Jb to continue the circuit and branch a cable to new position,
With that method am I able to have a spur running from new socket ?
Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back