Relocating a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a bedroom closet out of a timber structure (lined with plasterboard) and this means that the current sockets will be enclosed within this wardrobe. I would like to relocate this to the outside of this wardrobe.

As well as ensuring that the extended cable takes a safe route to the new location and I can use conduit for that, I have a couple of questions please:

How should I join the existing cables to the extended cables?
How should I terminate the existing socket given that it will have these cables extended out of it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The best way of joining cables is to solder them and then cover the join with self amalgamating tape. The second best way is wago connectors. The existing socket position can be fitted with a blanking plate.

When fitting a blanking plate, how do the extended cables exit this and enter the trunking?

would it be simpler to leave the existing socket in place and run a spur to the new socket? using the old socket as the "connection point"

Sponsored Links
I could spur off this, unless it's already spurred? I will know whether this is the case on the weekend when I start the project.
If this was possible, is it a case of clearing our some of the plaster below the socket to route the extension cable into the conduit?

I was wondering if there was a blanking plate (or another way) to neatly extend this new cable out and into the conduit.

But the gotcha might be that the existing socket is already spurred?

assuming it isn’t, I will need to chip away some plaster below the socket to make way for the extended cable coming out of the socket. Have I understood this correctly?

I suspect you are making too many assumptions. The first thing to do may be to look what is behind the socket. It will give you a much better starting point.

This may be a ring or may be a spur or may be a radial. You really need to work out which.

Ther will be a metal back box (probably). You may find this alters your picture of how you will run the new cable.

But the gotcha might be that the existing socket is already spurred?

assuming it isn’t, I will need to chip away some plaster below the socket to make way for the extended cable coming out of the socket. Have I understood this correctly?

if the existing socket has a metal back box, most of them have the ability to have a cable exit to the side of the box, above and below the centreline ie
https://www.toolstation.com/metal-box-2-gang/p77591 so you can run your new conduit to the side( the linked one has two different size holes for different size conduit so use the easiest, usually the biggest and have the conduit go just inside the box by a few mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back