Is terminal strip OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I need to relocate an existing socket which is on a spur.
For the sake of ease and neatness I would like to extend the existing T&E cable using 30A terminal strip. The strip will be within the 'old' double socket box capped off with a blanking plate the new piece of T&E routed via a channel in the wall to the new socket position.
Is that OK? Previously I've always used a JB's for extending/jointing and thought of choky blocks as a bit dodgy. :confused:
BTW socket is in the lounge. :)

B B

Sponsored Links
Yeah it is fine to use in these circumstances.

You should fit a link from the earth connector block to the metal back box earth terminal.

No problem as long as the terminals are made off correctly.The blank plate must remain to indicate the presence of a cable run.The new cable must also run in a direct horizontal/vertical line from the old position to the new.
Don't forget your CPC sleeving!

EDIT: Too slow for RF :cry:

Sponsored Links
Flippin heck, guys! Your quick! :eek:

Thanks for the replies. Nice reminder about earthing the box. ;)

B B

On a simular thing - would "butt splice" crimps be ok to use in this situation?

Will be rated at 32A or 48A depending if I choose the blue or yellow ones !

Insulated butt crimps are better in this situation. Colour of crimp to match cable size. Blue for 2.5mm cable, red for 1.5mm.

Yes, I was responding to Tom_C's post. He mentioned crimps so he must be up for it ;)

Thanks for that.

Sorry - didnt mean to nick the thread - just seemed along the same topic so pointless starting another.

I've got crimping tools and a insulated crimps so no problems there.

needs to be Ratchet crimpers, not the thin ones they sell in Halfords.

No problem as long as the terminals are made off correctly.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Is there more to it than stripping back the insulation, matching up the colours & tightening the screws? :oops:

B B

Sorry, I should have wrote:-
As with any termination, make sure the connections are made off correctly (ie fill the whole of the terminal, tighten up firm but not so as to snap wires off and make sure there is no exposed wire out of the terminal)

have you ever found a purpose to these star-shaped things? they look like they ought to be for some kind of adjustment. I fear the pliers will fly into a million pieces if I experimentally dismantle them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back