Relutant to use Grout with Microban

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a couple of quotes for tiling walls in bathroom & en-suite, both quotes are around £520 for removing existing tiles & tiling 16m2 including grout, adhesive, trim but not tiles. This seems slightly expensive (in manchester).

The last chap was a plumber & tiler but I'm a bit worried about his tiling skills as when I mentioned both microban (in BAL grout) & coloured grout he said microban gave a grainy finish and was hard to work with and the same was true of coloured grout therefore he always tended to use white without microban. Is he just saying this so he can supply cheap grouting or has he a valid point.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a reasonable quote to me
3-4 tubs adhesive (if small/med format tiles) about £30 depending what he uses
grout about £6ish
trim? depends on what your having,
so knock off about £50 for materials thats £470 left

1st day strip tiles and prep walls as needed
2nd and 3rd days tiling
4th day clean up grout and siliconing edges

£470 split between 4 days £117.50 per day,if 7-8 hours per day comes out at around £15ish an hour.

Never had a problem with coloured grout (except black as it takes lots of rinsing) you should be able to have whatever colour grout you wish.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

What about Microban, should it definetley be used in shower/bathroom, and is it harder to use and gives a more grainy finish as the 1 tiler who quoted me said.

Should I insist on Microban or accept that the tiler knows best?

What about Microban, should it definetley be used in shower/bathroom, and is it harder to use and gives a more grainy finish as the 1 tiler who quoted me said.

Should I insist on Microban or accept that the tiler knows best?

I use nothing but BAL products & rather a lot of Microban. I don't know why he's saying it's difficult to use, it isn’t & I don’t really agree that it looks grainy, it always looks fine to me. Maybe they don’t like the price but you generally only get what you pay for with this stuff!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back