Re grout or replace Travertine border tiles in Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya people,
Great forum you have here and if I am in the wrong section, well many apologies as I am still a bit of a newbie..lol
Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on my little tiling job. Many thanks in advance for an comments made, much appreciated.

I am just about to re grout a large shower unit in an extension that I have had damp problems with. I have had mold growing in the grout for a while now thought it was time to sort it out.

After talking to our friends in Topps Tiles, I have realised that the old grout I used was not up to the job and the shower room needed to be kept drier. I have now bought a large dehumidifier as this seems to be the only way to keep the room dry.
Anyhows, I am now in a position to re grout the shower unit. I have boughta dremel tile grout remover and have bought some bal microban grout which seems pretty good as I have already used this on the floor of the bathroom.
What I would like to know is if it is worth regrouting a small strip/ border of Travertine tiles I have running through the shower unit?
It seems like a lot of messing around for the sake of a few square feet of these little tiles, when I could just as easily remove/renew them and regrout with the BaL?
They have been protected with Moeller impregnator but I think the cheap grout has cause the mildew on the tiles.?

Also, could you suggest a good brand of protector/impregnator for the grout and small strip of Travertine tiles?
The chap in Topps Tiles recommended their own brand( well, I guess he would..lol )
The stuff is not cheap and only comes in large sizes.
The moeller stuff I have already used is supposed to be good stuff but the mould came through on that so I am at a loss to know what the best brand would be or if it would be o.k. to use the Moeller stuff again but with the new ball grout?

Can anyone throw any light of removal of the tile border and brands of tile protector/sealer /impregnator?
Many thanks again for any comments made.

Ede

Sponsored Links
Dehumidifier is a very expensive way to keep mold at bay, a good extractor fan and vents work perfectly and far cheaper.[And much better for your health as the dehumidifier doesn't improve the air quality like fresh air.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back