Grout residue on Travertine - trouble removing :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fixed a Travertine floor using BAL fastflex, then grouted using BAL wide joint grout using BAL Admix.

Debated about sealing tiles first but many had told me there was no need with travertine/marble.

Washed floor numerous times with water, grout residue coming back. Ran out of old HG residue remover so bought Fila Residue Remover (Neutral) from local tile place.

Can be mixed 1:5 to 1:30, I mixed it approx 11:1. Ragged on, left for 5 mins, brushed thoroughly and rinsed.

As the floor is drying out I'm seeing some hazing.

Strange thing is, where there was the odd bit of cement on face of tile it removed this OK with a rag.

Is it worth trying this at 1:5 or do I need something stronger?

They do a Residue Remover (Extra Strong) but travertine isn't mentioned in the list.

Sponsored Links
Thought I told you to seal it first :rolleyes:

A lot of the removers contain chemicals that will give an adverse affect with travatine so always try them first.

It is also not a good idea to start mixing products from more than one company as some are acid based some alkali.

If you added GT1 to the grout that also makes it a lot harder to remove, should have just used superflex.

Try what you have been using with an emulsifying pad rather than using a rag, was off and allow to dry then buff any haze with a dry rah or old towel. Once you apply sealer a lot of the hazing will disapear.

Jason

Emulsifying pad??

I know you told me to seal them :oops: but I'm up against it, had ran out of sealer and wanted to grout them. I'd read enough cases of trav/marble not absorbing as highly as other naturals such as slate, and so not to worry about the pre-seal.

I could relate to this as when sealing marble I found that it didn't absorb hardly any, unlike slate.

I used the admix for flexibilty as I was going onto t&G floor. I already had a bottle of admix from when I had laid onto chipboard before and the supplier said that using that with normal wide grout would be superior to superflex anyway.

I've been out and walked the dog and it's not actually as bad as I was expecting. All of the heavy grout marks have gone, just some light hazing around the edges.

I'll give it another wash over and then buff off as you say.

I thought the sealer would remove some haze but was worried it would trap it.

Also, as for switching brands, I stick to one make now. I had various HG products that could be used on a selection of stones but as they had run out, or nearly run out I re-stocked.

As my local place now stocks Fila and was told it was better than the HG products I went with that :) I was advised that the Fila sealer works better than the oil based HG impregnator, and abosrbs better rather than just sitting on top.

Sponsored Links
Hallsy said:
I used the admix for flexibilty as I was going onto t&G floor.
Ooops. Still, it'll be good practice for when you have to retile in a few months cause the tiles have come loose.

Will be fine mate.

I used the 2 part fastflex and screwed all of the boards down as well as the original nailing.

I installed some marble over a part concrete part chipboard patchwork (lol) floor using the single part flexible stuff (balflex?) and that has been fine for 2 years. High traffic area being a hallway.

Well.........never say never!!

I'm sure it will be fine :LOL:

I take it you have had a tile installation fail over T&G after using a Fastflex type adhesive?

Yep, it lasted a couple of months. The customer wouldn't let me overboard because he didn't want level changes as it was being tiled through two rooms (one timber one ashphalt) and insisted on me using a different adhesive than I recommended. I warned him that I would do it but at his risk.
Then had the cheek to ring me saying that the grout had cracked and a few tiles were loose. Fool.
Anyway I hope yours stays put but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Customer bought Granfix Single part flexible. It's probably fine if you use it over ply but it's no use on boards.

Ah, that would be the problem then :rolleyes:

The BAL single part flex says if used on T&G floor it has to be covered over with 15mm ply.

Fastflex (2 part) said fine on T&G, just make sure they are screwed down :)

The 2 part is far more expensive though, so maybe that's why he bought the single part stuff.

Hallsy

Sorry to rain on your parade ....

Never Tile on Floorboards ....
unless you have put noggins under every board ,???? supporting the weight /bounce ....
never mind ....
at least nextime you can read up here how to do it correct in the first hit .. ;)

Hallsy said:
Ah, that would be the problem then :rolleyes:

The BAL single part flex says if used on T&G floor it has to be covered over with 15mm ply.

Fastflex (2 part) said fine on T&G, just make sure they are screwed down :)

The 2 part is far more expensive though, so maybe that's why he bought the single part stuff.
Did you read my post? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back