Remedial Action Report - electrical survey

Before moving any on to different Mcbs you should confirm that none are sharing a common neutral
Even more so since your contemplating changing phase and could introduce a 415 volt risk at switchgear or the fittings

Sponsored Links
Imagine 6 lights fed from six switches fed straight from the board and, rather than linking switch to switch each has its own red back to the same mcb, but from the board only one neutral runs out and links to the lights. or commons up the neutrals within the switch boxes.

If one of them lives now gets moved over to a different phase what happens if the neutrals come apart in any of the fittings what voltage would you expect to find between them neutrals
and
what would you expect happens to the fittings or switchgear if that neutral come adrift in the board.

If one of them lives now gets moved over to a different phase what happens if the neutrals come apart in any of the fittings what voltage would you expect to find between them neutrals ... and ... what would you expect happens to the fittings or switchgear if that neutral come adrift in the board.
Yes, I obviously understand all that - but what I'm asking is what makes you know or think that this is a 3-phase board?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Experience john ;) :)

The amount of mcbs and amount of room in the pic and no main switch or supply cables visible

The way round the mcbs fit and the fact theres no bus bar and no din rail and also no mcb release clips visible
Although not unique to just 3phase boards i must admit

The unused spaces between the mcbs and the fitting of random size mcb ratings not in no obvious order denotes to me they have took time to select correct circuit phasing or balancing

It looks like an eary model hager judging by the obsolete MT mcbs which have been re modelled with new codes a few times now

Plant rooms and corridors also give a sense of an industrial / commercial enviroment too

Experience john ;) :)
Fair enough - I can't argue with that1

I have to admit that a number of the points you mention are very suggestive but, given the limited view presented by the photo (and the fact that rotated pics are far from unknown in this forum!), it was not the first thought which came to my mind. However, as you say, that's where experience becomes valuable! I had noted the 'odd' order of the MCBs, but the penny didn't drop as to a likley explanation.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but never mind all that.

Do we think that after nearly a year chrisdicko is still wondering what to do?

Well if he is, I would say I can't see much wrong with a lighting circuit at 16A as long as the cable and switches are up to it.

Yes, but never mind all that. Do we think that after nearly a year chrisdicko is still wondering what to do?
I very much doubt that we do. However, the question I asked which resulted in the last few posts was nothing to do with the OP's question - but, rather, asked for my own education. Is that bad?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but never mind all that.

Do we think that after nearly a year chrisdicko is still wondering what to do?

It seems it was me who managed to post to an old thread. Not sure how that happened, it must have been on top page for some reason? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back