Remeha Avanta 35C continued error message - help/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler started playing up a couple of weeks ago and was intermittently going off with an error code E5 - which is an ionisation failure. I have already had the heating engineer out twice and he has service the boiler, replaced the ionisation electrode and the string burner gasket. The boiler work ok for a few days but now the error 5 is back again. Has anyone got any other ideas as to what it might be as I don't want to end up replacing every part on the boiler.

Also as an aside but I don't know if this is related I got a minor shock when removing the front cover (with power switched off), this is not something I have noticed before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its 4 years old, I've only been in the property for 12 months. There is no history of it being serviced just the certificate of fitting. Both the ionisation probe and the gasket looked very tired. I had it serviced at the same time as the bits were fitted and all the readings were very good I was told.

Sponsored Links
your repair man really needs to treat this fault as an E4 fault and he needs to be able to ensure all the checks in E4 & E5 are done and all is correct.
high and low settings need to be exact,your repair man knows this.
you can test the ionisation current by pressing the + button (with the boiler running) until fl appears in the display,then read and note it.
for example 55 would be 5.5ua.
press reset to bring back to normal display when finished.
lower than 3 & higher than 9 its faulty ionisation probe.
i had one of these boilers and had the same fault and by exchanging 2 round gaskets cured it.
1 gasket is round white string type.
1 gasket is a larger round rubber like(but not rubber).
on my boiler ionisation was lost due to recirculation of flue gases.

Thanks, he has already replaced the string gasket but not the other one. I found it strange how after replacing this and the ionisation electrode it worked fine for 5 days, prior to this it was going off intermitently, but at least a couple of times per day. Also when I re-set it I find that if I switch on the hot water tap it always fires up again, whereas if I don't its hit and miss. Having got the electric shock off the casing I was also wondering about an earthing issue.

all i can say is to get your repair man back and tell him about the shock and continuing original fault he will have the knowledge and equipment to test and prepare a written report.
its well known for these boilers to give E4 E5 faults.
shock could be static electricity but this needs checking out.
i got my boiler repaired by www.remehaheating.co.uk after a well known national company changed hundreds of pounds of parts.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back