Remodelling Kitchen Waste Pipes

OB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I've got a puzzle that I don't know how to solve and hoping you can help me out.

I'm remodelling the kitchen at the moment and have come to the moment of truth where I need to reorganise the pipes to work in a new sink position and also to move the washing machine, currently the washing machine sits next to the sink and waste is put through the tube into a spigot of the sink P trap.

i've attached a pic but basically the sink and w/m will move to opposite ends of the layout. When the sink moves the w/m waste won't be able to go around the room to the spigot so I'm thinking to leave the existing sink p trap and add a 'T' in lower down, then in turn a straight pipe up to the new sink.

My question really is, am I ok to leave the existing P trap open lat the top? Doesn't it then become a stand pipe with the nature of the P trap stopping any nasty smells?

Hope all this makes sense but it's late and I'm knackered!

Thanks in advance
OB

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Where does the waste go from R/H side of picture? That looks like solvent welded waste, you are aware it wont come apart and needs to be replaced as required?

I'd look to replace the existing bend with a T, use the branch to couple up to new sink, and then carry on from the T to a standpipe at the new washing machine position. There doesnt look a lot of room to get a T into the current pipework, and achieve a fall to washing machine position.

Regardless of anything else, if you were to leave current setup in situ, the existing trap needs to be removed and the open end blanked off.

Thanks Hugh, this is really doing my head in! Something so simple...

The waste bottom right of the pic goes out through the wall and into an old school open drain.

Makes life easier then (hopefully!) :D If you cut through the pipe close to the wall you should be able to twist/pull it out through the wall, then push (carefully) the new pipe through existing hole in the wall and replace the lot to suit your new requirements. Sink wastes often have a build up of crud inside anyway, so replacement can be a better option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hugh, I was going to smash the whole lot out and start again but this method is more elegant :LOL:

Hopefully it all goes to plan (nothing in this house ever does!).

Cheers
Alan

If you're struggling to get the old pipe out, chip away at the mortar around it with an old screwdriver and hammer, might free it up enough to make job easier. You have the advantage of the existing pipe being low enough to work for new appliance positions. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back