remote humidistat installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a remote humidistat (SwiftAir) and decided to start experimenting a bit before the final installation in a small bathroom.
On the back there are 5 connections: FN, FL, L, N, SL - I guess the first 2 need to be connected to the fan....L and N are obviously Live and Neutral and then SL (switch Live?), how to connect this one? Maybe it requires a double pole switch (like normal fans)....but I'm going to use a socket spur (instead of a light circuit).
Anyhow, the real purpose of trying before final installation is to get an idea of how these sort of devices operates....I've read some negative comments - e.g. it seems remote humidistats are prone to switching on too easily in rainy days (where humidity levels are high) - then, it seems that positioning is very crucial...
Any direct experience?

Sponsored Links
What's the model number?

Have you got instructions?

Experimenting is not good!

no instructions....but I've found some PDF files online - this is for the Manrose model which looks very similar to the Swiftair:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Manrose/MR1361_Instructions.pdf

No good experimenting? Depends what experimenting means....one can go and install a humidistat and realize the positioning is causing lots of false triggers - my way of "experimenting is to try to find out how the humidity control works first (how sensitive?) then test for a few days in different conditions and weather with relative humidity levels and then fix the humidistat in a permanent position...

On the electrical connections side - I've just connected the fan to the FN and FL....then the Live and Neutral to the corresponding L and N terminals. It seems the humidistat works as expected with the Hygro potentiometer set to about a third (from 40% to 100% humidity level). Now, what to do with the SL switched Live terminal? I understand the importance of an isolator; but what's the use for another switch? (I'm missing something here).

No good experimenting? Depends what experimenting means....one can go and install a humidistat and realize the positioning is causing lots of false triggers - my way of "experimenting is to try to find out how the humidity control works first (how sensitive?) then test for a few days in different conditions and weather with relative humidity levels and then fix the humidistat in a permanent position...

But this is where the instructions could save you faffing around for hours!

Sponsored Links

But this is where the instructions could save you faffing around for hours!

have you seen such instructions on the PDF file? Me neither...
I don't know why but maybe it's because each bathroom/house/environment is different...of course there are some guidelines which I've found in some other posts (not in the manual) - e.g. the humidistat should be positioned as high as possible (e.g. on the ceiling) but in the end the suitable parameters are subjective....it seems right now I'm getting the right parameter/settings.
Now an explanation about that extra switch would be very useful...

The extra switch is probably a remote to switch on the fan/fan over-ride.
But surely

You bought a new SwiftAir fan. It MUST come with installation and operating instructions.

Or was it a FleaBay special?

Maybe ask HERE??

no instructions....but I've found some PDF files online - this is for the Manrose model which looks very similar to the Swiftair:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Manrose/MR1361_Instructions.pdf[/QUOTE][QUOTE="xelaris, post: 2732367"]Now, what to do with the SL switched Live?
Isn't it obvious?

I understand the importance of an isolator;
Good.

but what's the use for another switch?
To switch on the fan (during the long arid months of the British Summer)

(I'm missing something here).
Apparently.

I thought about contacting the company directly, but we are in the middle of a weekend (hey, what are forum for?)....better trying the seller first (yes, an efly seller).

So basically the SL is an override switch - to turn the fan on/off at will regardlessly of the Hygrometer settings? I thought it might be linked to the light switch - but in my case, I'm using a radial spur...
The "arid" summer UK months? Not in Manchester for sure :LOL:

The Hygrometer settings seems reliable to me....the fan stay off until I blow a bit of warm air from my mouth - keeps running for a minute (as set) and then goes off - you get a timer and hygrometer in one device - the best you can get if it works as expected....add a PIR and you got the perfect automatic fan.

What's the model number?

Have you got instructions?

Experimenting is not good!

WHAT ARE FORUMS FOR?????? (I got no instructions - get it? Life is full of surprises and guess what; sometimes one get no instructions).
Next time I'm going to have all the fact right (model number and instruction and all) and then post a new thread asking for advice not longer needed (cos' I got the fact right).

It seems to me better to avoid the lecci forum as is vastly populated by grumpy old men "Bah, humbug!" type which are good fun to laugh at. (is that what decades of electrical work does to human brains?)
b....a.....i.....t :evil:

WHAT ARE FORUMS FOR?????? (I got no instructions - get it? Life is full of surprises and guess what; sometimes one get no instructions).
If the item was new, then contact Trading Standards - it's an offence not to provide instructions.

If the item was new, then contact Trading Standards - it's an offence not to provide instructions.

LOL...I was waiting for ya....still, I had to wait until tomorrow cos' no phone line works during weekends (some don't really get it - do they).
hey Ban, I've missed you a bit....
Still, I genuinely thought you were using other aliases cos' it seems some of the messages are coming from the same brain to me (so, I wasn't missing you that much) - are you using other aliases? (cheeky xelaris).

It seems to me that all your threads end like this because you don't seem able to follow the advice given or provide any information requested.

Anyway, you wrote this -
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Manrose/MR1361_Instructions.pdf[/QUOTE]
which contains a wiring diagram with exactly the same terminals as you describe and how to connect them, so what is it you want to know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back