Remote lock for workshop door with visual indicator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a glass back door looking across the car port to the workshop door. I'd like to have a remotely operated lock on the workshop so that we can unlock it before going out and a visual indicator so we can check it's locked before going out or going to bed.

I'm sure this must exist. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
In the main we use a bolt and mortice lock and the bolt is manual operated and the mortice electrically released. With default being locked.

I had a unit like a mobile phone for my mothers house, so she could answer door and release the door once satisfied genuine caller, however I did not likely the security with the opening mortice, and people would not actually speak at the door, so it was really a failure.

Today there are loads of wireless relays, I use one to switch my landing lights on/off. So the remote control is not a problem, what is the problem is if the locks are good enough for what you want? Remember the lock must not lock anyone in even with a power cut, this
1675941418033.png
is the main part used, a 12 volt DC supply will release the door, but the lock in the door its self is a standard mortise lock.

What I think you want is a car door mechanism, but not seen one for domestic type doors.

Interesting ideas thanks. It's a Nordan door so I might struggle to fit a different kind of lock. Shoulda mentioned that in my first post I guess.

Interesting ideas thanks. It's a Nordan door so I might struggle to fit a different kind of lock. Shoulda mentioned that in my first post I guess.
an electric keep seems like the only option you have. with the door

Sponsored Links
Mag plate lock, a WiFi relay card and a big red led of whatever voltage the plate lock runs at.
Put led outside where you can see it, wire it in parallel with the magnet.

Remember the lock must not lock anyone in even with a power cut, this
1675941418033.png
is the main part used, a 12 volt DC supply will release the door, but the lock in the door its self is a standard mortise lock.

Those are not designed to be long term powered, only powered long enough to enter the door.

For my garage side door, I began with a Yale lock needing a key, where I would often forget to take the key with me to get in. I replaced that, with an electronic keycode lock, using one of the above releases for the Yale lock, but still able to use the key to get in.

My latest iteration is a mechanical code lock, which has been, the best of the bunch. No key at all needed, always slam the door behind me to lock it, just remember the code.

Good suggestions thanks, I want a setup that allows me to unlock the door in the morning and lock it when I go out or go to bed. There must be some kind of access system sold for this.

Those are not designed to be long term powered, only powered long enough to enter the door.

For my garage side door, I began with a Yale lock needing a key, where I would often forget to take the key with me to get in. I replaced that, with an electronic keycode lock, using one of the above releases for the Yale lock, but still able to use the key to get in.

My latest iteration is a mechanical code lock, which has been, the best of the bunch. No key at all needed, always slam the door behind me to lock it, just remember the code.
you can't alter the operational state of this lock..that just silly

Doesn't he mean that you can't fiddle with the operation of the lock itself?

Doesn't he mean that you can't fiddle with the operation of the lock itself?

I'm really not sure quite what he means, but...

You set a user defined code in the lock, remember it and use the code to gain access. Anytime you might need to, you can change the code. No keys to forget, or lose, and you can let someone in, in an emergency, by relaying the code over the phone.

Yes I considered that but in my ideal world I'd be able to hit a button inside the back door, look through the glass and see the workshop door indicator turn green for "unlocked". Then lock it when I turn in for bed or go out.

Can't believe something doesn't exist to do this.

Yes I considered that but in my ideal world I'd be able to hit a button inside the back door, look through the glass and see the workshop door indicator turn green for "unlocked". Then lock it when I turn in for bed or go out.

Can't believe something doesn't exist to do this.

Nearest I can think of, is the roller shutter door, on the front of my garage. I have an up/down remote control switch just inside my back door, which is wireless and a similar remote control in the car.

My garage/workshop side door, as I said - I now use a mechanical code lock on it. It's not obvious in the gloom, when I try to check whether I closed it or not, so I fixed a strip of reflective material, to the inside of the door. The strip picks up the light I have in my drive, making it obvious whether the door is left open.

In addition, I have a door stay on the door, which when it is opened, latches it wide open - and so almost no chance of leaving it in either the fully locked or wide open position.

What about a conventional lock, but wired to show a green or red light depending on its locked or unlocked state ?

Sounds like you want the lock itself to be remote contro!, Is that essential ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back