remote sky box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
builbing work in progress so i want to move the sky box to a cuboard upstairs out of view to tidy things up , i have a digital areial that i want to keep and the sky dish is moving to a new position,how do i connect the new system (sky plus) so the box is out of sight and i can operate the sky to work on a loung and bedroom tv new cables to be installed ,dont want multi room just using the one box, thanks gordon

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing as a "digital areial" (or even a digital aerial).

Your Sky+ digibox requires two cables connected to the LNB.
How you get the signal back to the TV is another matter. Your post is difficult to understand. I think you want to leave the TV downstairs?
Depends on the quality of picture you want. Simplest method is via a wireless videosender with built-in remote extender function, but they are very prone to interference.

The basics are here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/extenders.htm

how do i connect the new system (sky plus) so the box is out of sight and i can operate the sky to work on a loung and bedroom tv new cables to be installed ,dont want multi room just using the one box, thanks gordon

The solution to this is two-pronged.

Control: an aerial output from the Sky box RF2 can be sent via an aerial amplifier then to both the lounge and bedroom TVs. Add some magic eyes, and you'll have control of the box from both locations. As a side benefit you'll also have the Freeview aerial freed distributed by the same cable to both TVs as well.

Best signal: You should think about your options here and plan accordingly. The best signal from a non-HD Sky box is RGB via a SCART socket. You can get SCART distribution amps and 10m-20m SCART to SCART cables, so it is possible to send RGB to both TVs. Alternatively go with SCART to the main lounge TV and use the aerial connection for SKy to the bedroom TV.

The future of Sky is HDMI. There's a good chance that if your Plus box is ever replaced in the future then the new box will be a HD box with HDMI output. It doesn't matter if you subscribe to HD or not. You can also buy secondhand Sky HD boxes for £50-£80'ish. Bearing this in mind, then a good future-proofing plan would be to install HDMI cables to each TV position. It might even be cheaper to buy a s/h HD box and a 1-in:2- out HDMI distribution amp rather than spend cash on the SCART distribution kit and cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back