Remote switching of two letting rooms annexed to pub.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate Angie (she's lovely) has a pub (and that's why she needs to remain my mate).

She has two letting rooms in an annex. The heating system for these two rooms can (and will) be made independant of the rest of the building. The proposal is to install two SonOff TH10 wi-fi switches to allow her to remotely 'enable' the heating. Each room, once enabled, will have independant temperature control under the control of the user via a simple domestic dial thermostat. That's simple to achieve.

The wi-fi signal at that end of the building is dreadful and unreliable, so she wants to improve wi-fi for the room users too. Here the proposal is to run an ethernet cable (easily) through the cellar from the office router to a new router near to the rooms, thus providing a new wi-fi address for the users and for the SonOffs.

My question is simple: Is this use of a CAT5 cable to link two routers a sensble way to achieve her needs, and will the letting rooms have a different SSID to the main office? In doing this will the password protected security of the office network be compromised by having another network (with a freely given password) wired into it?

My second question is a little more complex: The TH10 uses a DS18B20 digital temperature sensor. I want to run a (longer than standard) cable from the SonOff jack socket to a wall mounted enclosure (one in each room). What measurements of the electrical characteristics of the standard sensor (terminating in a jack plug, and therefore being measured at that jack plug) can I make to determine which jack connection is Vss, which is Vdd, and which is data (short of hacking into the SonOff or chopping up the std sensor)? ie non destructive determination of the pin-out of a DS18B20.
PS the SonOff does not read the sensor's digital address, as it only has one sensor per TH10.

For those who want to know more, the temperature measured will be used to limit the let room's temperature to above 15C and below 23C, or whatever temps she decides.

MM

Sponsored Links
Forgive the sarcasm but from where will she obtain a wi-fi controlled bed maker to change sheets and plump up the pillows.

The heating can be enabled quite easily with a simple key switch when the room is checked (just before the guests move in) and disabled when they leave and the room is inspected and the sheets changed,

My question is simple: Is this use of a CAT5 cable to link two routers a sensble way to achieve her needs, and will the letting rooms have a different SSID to the main office? In doing this will the password protected security of the office network be compromised by having another network (with a freely given password) wired into it?

To answer your actual questions....

Yes, the CAT5 can be used to link the two routers, the SSID and password can either the same as the main router, or completely different. DHCP needs to be switched off at the second, remote router as there should be only one DHCP server, serving up or allocating IP addresses. Your security of the office, depends entirely upon how it has been set up - it needn't be any less secure than allowing guests wifi access on the main router.

Yes, the CAT5 can be used to link the two routers, the SSID and password can either the same as the main router, or completely different. DHCP needs to be switched off at the second, remote router as there should be only one DHCP server, serving up or allocating IP addresses.

Thank you, a succinct and direct answer to my questions, some of which I have erroneously repeated elsewhere on this site.

Perhaps one more question here:-
Would cabling LAN1 on the office router to LAN1 on the ANNEX router achieve this network extension? (I take on board your remarks about DHCP, et al, despite having only limited experience of Doss House Corporal Punishment)

Sponsored Links
Assuming the already working router has four ports, and the new router also four ports, you would simply run a LAN cable linking anyone of the four ports on one router (call this the main), to one of the four ports on the second router (call this the sub). Do not plug anything into the phone or fibre socket of the sub. You would also need to go into the settings of the sub and turn off the DHCP.

DHCP is the DHCP server, the beasty which dishes out IP addresses to any gadget you connect by wire or wireless to the router. There can only be one router in charge of this, otherwise there would be chaos - so you need to disable it in the sub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back